Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,112   Online: 837

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I like using the Leica RF lenses with the L->F adapter for close-up work.

"Way Back When", Spiratone (?) made an attachment for copying 8mm and 16mm frames for SLR's. It was a T-Mount device, similar to a slide copier but with more magnification. Might check used camera shops or Ebay. I'll try to find a brand name in the old Modern/Pop Photo mags. We're talking mid 70s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    L-H, Olympus made a similar device. One sold recently on eBay.de, brought silly money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are my answers to the questions without thread drift.

Question: “Is there any advantage to buying the 55mm macro over a standard 50mm prime when being used on the bellows?”

Answer: Yes

Question: “Any opinions, or rather, what's your opinion?”

Answer: Yes, see my earlier post.

jtk

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you're shooting small 3D objects you're better off WITHOUT FLAT FIELD lens...better to INVERT a similarly sharp conventional lens (such as 50 1.4 or 100 2.5)...gives you a concave field, ie more depth of field around your bug.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is slight thread-drift :-) certainly nothing wrong with Nikon - superb lenses. But, have you tried a Minolta Rokkor-X 100mm Macro? Quite sharp. Not sure about the 50mm macro because I've never used/laid hands on one.
    Minolta also made bellows and bellows specific lenses for this kind of stuff as well...have you looked into that at all? Just a thought before you buy a whole seperate system for this project.
    Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jtk View Post
    If you're shooting small 3D objects you're better off WITHOUT FLAT FIELD lens...better to INVERT a similarly sharp conventional lens (such as 50 1.4 or 100 2.5)...gives you a concave field, ie more depth of field around your bug.
    Hmm. And for slide copying? Because that's what the OP wants do do.

As for bugs, how on earth can I find a lens that matches the bug in front of me? I mean, not all bugs have the same radius of curvature. Some are even flat. And there are other, more complexly curved, subjects fit for macro work.

Oh me! Oh my! What am I to do? In other words, read the thread from the beginning even though it is long and boring and think harder about your advice's implications.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Hmm. And for slide copying? Because that's what the OP wants do do.

As for bugs, how on earth can I find a lens that matches the bug in front of me? I mean, not all bugs have the same radius of curvature. Some are even flat. And there are other, more complexly curved, subjects fit for macro work.

Oh me! Oh my! What am I to do? In other words, read the thread from the beginning even though it is long and boring and think harder about your advice's implications.
    I agree Dan,
    Frankly even for photographing bugs, I'm not so sure about the curved field - it really depends on where the bug is sitting. However, I have read on another site how a curved field is quite useful for photographing flowers since they do tend to be concave.
    Dan
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan,

If the lens doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Cheers,

Dan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin