Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,160   Online: 741
      
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Murray@uptowngallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Holland, MI
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Posts
    1,028
    I just unloaded a 28mm Nikkor lens and thought it had a flat front surface, under the UV filter I put on it. Might that be a front-located field flattener, usually seen at the back, analogous to reversed Tessar formulae - just designed differently?
    Murray

  2. #12
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    I just unloaded a 28mm Nikkor lens and thought it had a flat front surface, under the UV filter I put on it. Might that be a front-located field flattener, usually seen at the back, analogous to reversed Tessar formulae - just designed differently?
    Of course this would come up when I'm here in Tucson and the 28 is back in NYC.

    But I keep grabbing Nikkor and 3rd party Nikon-compatible lenses I have here (quite a few) and still cannot find one with a flat front element.

    Now, here in Tucson I have for my aging D-100 a AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED.

    I pulled off the filter and the front element "looks" like it's flat by a quick "eyeball" - but I ran a cloth across it - and it's curved, as one would expect.

    Now, this is a digi lens but I did once mistakenly use it on my F-100. So I know it will vignette all the pics. Thus, it's unlikely that the OP is using this kind of lens on his F-100.

    Might make more sense to this discussion if the OP would tell us what the lens is on his F-100?

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    28
    So maybe it isn't flat. I am not an expert, that is why I am asking you...the experts. If I had put my glasses on I would have seen it wasn't flat. It is the first group of glass on the front end of the lense. It is a Nikon AF Nikkor - 28-105 1:3.5 - 4.5D.

    As for the fellow worried about the speliing of lense/lens, I harbour no ill feelings towards him...my dad likes to argue with people about unimportant things too.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    376
    "You may well be correct but could you please provide a dictionary source for the word: lense[?"

    Oxford English Dictionary (a history of the English language). A subscription is available online at http://www.oed.com/. This is an older version of the word "lens" but is still in common usage.

  5. #15
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,863
    Quote Originally Posted by ehparis View Post
    "You may well be correct but could you please provide a dictionary source for the word: lense[?"

    Oxford English Dictionary (a history of the English language). A subscription is available online at http://www.oed.com/. This is an older version of the word "lens" but is still in common usage.
    Good! Now I do not have to explain some of my typos!

    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    28

    fellow word nerds

    As an English teacher I am amused and pleased with the etymological discussion of the word lense/lens. It shows there are intelligent people...peopling this board. Intelligent discussion is out of style now...just like film cameras. So, fellow nerds, any advice on the lense cleaning issue? It is not really a big fungal spot but I don't think or feel good about trying to dismantle the front of the lense myself. It is not on a polarizer or other filter, it is in the front element.
    Thanks

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    28
    Maybe someone could instruct me how to get the front element of the lense out and I can clean it with some denatured alcohol.

  8. #18
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Looking quickly, I found this one, it is listed as a variant of the word:

    http://medical.merriam-webster.com/medical/lense
    Yes!

    And as any NY Times crossword puzzle nut will tell you dictionary usage of "variant" or "Var." in a clue is a nice way of saying "misspelling".

  9. #19
    copake_ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NYC or Copake or Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4,092
    Images
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by vollie View Post
    As an English teacher I am amused and pleased with the etymological discussion of the word lense/lens. It shows there are intelligent people...peopling this board. Intelligent discussion is out of style now...just like film cameras. So, fellow nerds, any advice on the lense cleaning issue? It is not really a big fungal spot but I don't think or feel good about trying to dismantle the front of the lense myself. It is not on a polarizer or other filter, it is in the front element.
    Thanks
    vollie,

    If you're certain it's inside the front element - I would not advise trying to open up the lens. Others here, with experience doing such, might try it - but the only time I "opened" a lens was by mistake because I'd screwed the darn filter on so tight that when I tried to unscrew it I opened up the front element!

    Before you send it out for cleaning - you might try exposing the lens to direct sunlight for a few hours. This may kill off the fungus - especially since it sound like it has not advanced too far.

    The problem is that even if this works, Tennessee is a humid climate and it's likely the fungus will return after awhile.

    So, unless you want to open it up yourself, beyond the "sunlight" trick all I could recommend is sending it off for a professional cleaning.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    28
    Thanks, yes the UV will kill the fungus but I am still left with the residual mold.
    I am looking for a specific recommended lense servicing center. Should i send it to Nikon?

    Variant doesn't necessarily mean misspelling does it? It means...variant...another way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin