Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,167   Online: 1223

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Glass for Nikon N90s

I shoot everything but portraiture.My arsenal of AF lenses include a slow Nikkor 35-80,Tamron 28-200 and Sigma 70-300.
    Am I missing something or do these lenses cover all the bases?

Thank You

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I shoot everything but portraiture.My arsenal of AF lenses include a slow Nikkor 35-80,Tamron 28-200 and Sigma 70-300.

Thank You
    How about a very wide(20-24mm) and a macrolens?
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh BTW my first three lens F90X kit consisted of a 24mm f/2,8 sigma; 50mm f/1,4 AFD Nikor and a 105mm f/2,8 Sigma macro. Those three served me well for some years and when I needed something longer I got a 180mm f/2,8 AIS.
    A kit like that would cover most if not all subjects encountered by a 35mm shooter.
    Kind regards
    Søren

Ps. Does it show I don't like zooms?

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Soeren.I'd love to shoot nothing but primes.Alas,the spirit is willing ,yet the billfold is weak.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Soeren.I'd love to shoot nothing but primes.Alas,the spirit is willing ,yet the billfold is weak.

Mike
    Well when I bought my F90X back in -99 It came with a 28-70mm f/3,5-4,5 zoom. I found that either I shot it in the middle of the range or I tried to zoom out of range. The small max aperture was a PITA too so the lens was not more usefull than a 50mm, rather less. I kind of found the zoom limiting and the prime not. Sounds strange eh.
    Kind regards
    Søren

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The key is to cover 2nd base. Always try to prevent the runner from getting to 2nd, so he's not in scoring position. Grin.

You don't have any extreme wide angle lenses from 14mm up to 28mm. Your Nikkor 35-80 is a bit redundant. You could sell it to use the money for a wider prime or wider zoom lens.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great idea Pinholemaster. The 35-80 came with my N60.I've been told that lenses sold with camera bodies, as part of a package deal, arn't that hot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As stated earlier the 24mm focallenght (partly due to the Sigmas closefocus abilities) has served me well for some years. Now I have the 20mm AFD and though I find it a great lens it may be too extreme for some people. Another great wideangle is the 28mm f/2,8 AIS that will focus as close as 20cm making really close up wideangle shots possible. It will be faster than your current 28-200 and probably better
    If you fancy macro/closeups you should look for a 55mm or 105mm AIS Micro Nikor. It is almost impossible to use AF in that area so all you really loose is matrix metering.
    I think I would ditch the Tamron If it's not superior in quality to the other 2. It covers (almost) the same focallenght as the others so......
    Kind regards
    Søren

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    When I had my N90s I primarily used the 35-70mm f2.8 and 180mm f2.8 Nikkors. Several other lenses such as the 35mm f1.4 and 24mm f2.8 saw considerably less use as I didn't use wide angle as much as I probably should.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 35-80 may be worth keeping, particularly if it has the metal mount and not the plastic one. The metal mount version is exceptionally sharp. It will probably blow away your 28-200 at the focal lengths it supports.

The non-Nikon zooms you mention are unlikely to be exceptionally good optically. You might want to look at upgrading them over time. There are lots of good Nikkors out there for not very much money.

A 50/1.8 is cheap, too, and very sharp, and would give you a great low-light solution. The 35/2 is a little more useful but about three times the price.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin