Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,185   Online: 664

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    The Contax G1 or G2 are not rangefinders.
    This is true, they are autofocus, but still have to have some sort of rangefinder built in. They also have a manual mode of focus.
    Regards,
    John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried a Contax G2, didn't like it. You couldn't see what it had chosen to focus on so you had to look at the distance scale to check.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I tried a Contax G2, didn't like it. You couldn't see what it had chosen to focus on so you had to look at the distance scale to check.
    sorry I have used a G2 for some time you just line up the brackets in the view finder on whatever you want to focus on press the focus button with your thumb re compose holding the focus button down and release the shutter. Its easier than it sounds especially if you come from an AF SLR. I would not call it cheap though. look at Voltlandrs or Zorki for value

regards Keith

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    The Contax G1 or G2 are not rangefinders.
    Seconded. I had an outfit for a year. Nice camera; intermittent focus; not an RF.

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You could do nicely with an Olympus RC RD DC -with some of those costing upwards of $20. SP will set you back much more. FED/Zorki/etc "leica-like" cost you a bit more -$30-50. Not extremely reliable, either.
    Petri's are cheap.

I'd go Olympus RD/RC ..whichever had the 40mm 1.8 lens.
    Nearly fully automatic however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second the Oly 35RC. They can be used fully automatic as mentioned, but this particular camera can also be used fully manual. I use mine regularly with a handheld incident meter. Another one I like is the Canonet QL-17 and QL-17 G-III. Not all rangefinder cameras are created equal. I assumed they were all somewhat difficult to focus when I got my first one, then moved up to a Bessa R2A and the viewfinder was a revelation!

Check out www.cameraquest.com and look for Classic Camera Profiles. You'll find everything you ever wanted to know!
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    I have never used a rangefinder camera but find myslef becoming more and more interested in them.

Can anyone advise on what might be the most economical way to test the water with this type of camera? Which makes and models will give a good introduction without large cost?
    I think you need to provide some more constraints; the answers you've gotten are all over the map, and so will ultimately not be that useful, except to the extent responders provide reasons for recommending specific models that match (or don't match) your needs. Some questions:

• What do you consider "economical?" To me, that'd be about US$50. To somebody else, it might be US$10 or US$500. (Convert to your local currency, of course.)
    • Do you want new or used gear?
    • How much automation are you used to having? Autofocus? Autoexposure? A built-in light meter? Do you expect the same in a rangefinder, or do you want to branch out and get more or less automation?
    • Do you want interchangeable lenses? If not, do you have a preference for lens focal length? (They don't vary much in fixed-lens rangefinders, but some are a bit wider than others.)
    • Why are you becoming interested in rangefinders? Do you have a specific purpose in mind (unobtrusive street-shooting or dim-light focusing, say)?

Answering these questions may help others provide more focused responses to your question. (Of course, the cat's already out of the bag; I fully expect this thread to meander quite a bit now.)

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, I like Olympus XA camera. Very small and quiet with aperture preferred autoexposure. I mostly don't use the rangefinder, but just set the distance scale. I have taken many pictures of people without looking through the viewfinder - it's a good sneaky camera. I took a picture with it that won a nice award with Ilford.

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hwy1elk.jpg  
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I think you need to provide some more constraints; the answers you've gotten are all over the map, and so will ultimately not be that useful, except to the extent responders provide reasons for recommending specific models that match (or don't match) your needs. Some questions:

• What do you consider "economical?" To me, that'd be about US$50. To somebody else, it might be US$10 or US$500. (Convert to your local currency, of course.)
    • Do you want new or used gear?
    • How much automation are you used to having? Autofocus? Autoexposure? A built-in light meter? Do you expect the same in a rangefinder, or do you want to branch out and get more or less automation?
    • Do you want interchangeable lenses? If not, do you have a preference for lens focal length? (They don't vary much in fixed-lens rangefinders, but some are a bit wider than others.)
    • Why are you becoming interested in rangefinders? Do you have a specific purpose in mind (unobtrusive street-shooting or dim-light focusing, say)?

Answering these questions may help others provide more focused responses to your question. (Of course, the cat's already out of the bag; I fully expect this thread to meander quite a bit now.)

A good point - I should have really specified this at the outset.

I guess in terms of budget up to areoun £100 would be OK

And I am looging for something which will give me a flavour of what Voitlander / Leica cameras offer - note "flavour" by which I mean similar focusing etc - I know very little about rangefinders.

I guess my interest in this area has been started as I recently started shooting more street type photography, obviously at present with an SLR (Nikon FE2) but I think, although I have never used a rangefinder, I can see why they are popular for this type of work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A small SLR like an Olympus OM-1 would serve you just as well.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin