Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,494   Online: 1020

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    A small SLR like an Olympus OM-1 would serve you just as well.
    Spot on. I've got a couple of Olympus RC's, an OM1, 3 x OM1n's and an OM2n. The OM1(n) is small, light, has terrific glass and is available for peanuts. Only downside is that the 1's (and the RC) uses mercury batteries but it's cheap enough to just get an insert so it takes newer cells. Benefit of the OM1 is mirror lockup.
    These cameras are certainly pocketable and the lenses are tiny.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But it won't introduce you to ragefinders and the, after all, different approach to picturetaking. I second the Canon QL17 GIII/ Olympus RC or RD suggestion. I had a QL17 GIII but I sold it when I found i didn't use it. I am more a SLR kind of guy. It was a great little toy and sometimes Id like another one but then I'm looking for something 6X7'ish
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    I guess in terms of budget up to areoun £100 would be OK

And I am looging for something which will give me a flavour of what Voitlander / Leica cameras offer - note "flavour" by which I mean similar focusing etc - I know very little about rangefinders.
    For "Leica on the cheap," the Russian Leica clones (FEDs and Zorkis, mainly) are worth considering. They range from old models without built-in light meters to fairly recent production models with light meters but few frills by modern standards. These cameras all take the old-style LTM39 lenses, so you can even use Leica glass on them. Most can be had for well under your price limit; in fact, for £100 you could get a complete system, with several lenses and an auxiliary viewfinder.

Since you mention street photography, you probably don't want to be overburdened with lenses. If you want something pocketable, an older FED or Zorki with a collapsible lens is handy, but these models also lack meters. Deviating from the Leica mold, small single-lens rangefinders like the Canon QL series are popular for this purpose. They're surprisingly small and quiet, and many have shutter-priority automatic exposure.

That said, all rangefinders focus in the same way, by definition, so "similar focusing" to Leicas doesn't really narrow the field at all. (Very old Leicas used separate focusing and viewfinder windows, though, which was a bit different in practice from the way most rangefinders made since WWII or thereabouts are made, with a rangefinder field within the main viewfinder.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Yup. Everytime I think I want a rangefinder for compactness, I realize my OM-1 isn't much larger, certainly not larger than the modern rangefinders and only barely larger than the likes of the Canonet (why I sold mine).

The main reason I'm still interested in a rangefinder is slightly better performance at slow shutter speeds and more interesting lenses (Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 Nokton, yum).

Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    BTW, while we're on the subject...

For you folks that shoot with meterless Leicas and FSU rangefinders, do you always carry an external light meter, just wing it, or use some other method to calculate exposure?

Chris

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've ended up with a FED-II (big heavy clunker, but cheap), a (Cosina) Voigtländer Bessa-L (no rangefinder, no viewfinder) and a Bessa-T (good rangefinder, no viewfinder).

All have their different strengths and weaknesses, and all three are cheap. The Bessa-T with a Russian turret viewfinder is great when I need an accurate rangefinder, i.e. if I'm using the Jupiter-9 (85mm f:2) wide open. The Bessa-L is made for wide angle lenses which often come with their own viewfinders anyway, like the CV 12, 15 and 21mm lenses (I have the 15 and the 21mm). anything longer than that and you need either a rangefinder or lots of practice at guess focussing.

The FED, as I said, is a heavy klunker. But still nice with things like FSU 50mm's - FED 50mm f:3.5 - or old Leitz Elmar 90mm or Hektor 135mm lenses. They sort of look more "right" on the FED than on the Bessa-T...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Chris, you posted while I was typing!

I sometimes carry a light meter, quite often a Leningrad one (no batteries). But most of the time I just wing it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Ole, how do you like that Bessa T? I've been considering it as a cheap way to get into M mount lenses, but I'd rather have an R3M. The Bessa T and Nokton 40mm isn't much more than the R3M body alone and I can "upgrade" to the R3M down the road...

Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    For you folks that shoot with meterless Leicas and FSU rangefinders, do you always carry an external light meter, just wing it, or use some other method to calculate exposure?
    Just wing it - start at sunny 16 and then use (my usually poor) judgement. Then again, I don't bother putting slide film or anything too finicky in the Zorki, in that camera I normally shoot HP5+ so it's not nearly so critical.

I do have an Exposure-Mat card (http://expomat.tripod.com/) which I made up, which ought to be an excellent help. Unfortunately, I always forget it; if you're more disciplined you might want to try printing one of those off!
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    BTW, while we're on the subject...

Chris
    I picked up a Leica MR-4 meter for my M5 ( the built-in meter is non-functional ). The MR-4 mounts on the accessory shoe.
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin