Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,247   Posts: 1,680,301   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Marko-

you'll need to replace the Pentax when it falls down a manhole into a river of sewage and gets run over by a concrete truck at the same time. They're very durable cameras. Save your money and spend it on film, chemicals, and dates with girls.

Shooter
    35mm
    The F5 might be too much of a camera to be considered an "essential" for 35mm photography.

Basically what a person needs is a simple camera (manual or automatic), a lens (doesn't even have to be a zoom lens), film and some knowledge of how to operate or load the camera.

$800 for a discontinued Nikon camera is a lot of money. The F100 is a good compromise between price and performance, and I'm sure you can get a used F5 for $500 or less nowadays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't wait for a Spotmatic to break - in fact I've got $5 that says it'll outlive you

Why do you have your sights set on the F5?
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    I wouldn't wait for a Spotmatic to break - in fact I've got $5 that says it'll outlive you

Why do you have your sights set on the F5?
    Tougher, faster, and better for event/people photography.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hey marko

i agree with scott ..
    don't waste your money ...
    on new equipment unless you need it ..

when i sell off everything i own and just have one camera
    it would probably be a box camera. easy quick and you just need
    to compose and push the button.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Unless you really need autoeverything, just stick with your Spotmatic. Ive got one and don't even use the meter anymore. And don't use but 3 primes on it. The glass is great, it's never failed me because of mechanics and other than not having a split-prism I couldn't ask for much more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    $800 is retail and then some for a used F5, In the Chicago area they're going for ~400-500 on craigslist. There have been N90s starting around $200 & f100's for ~$300.
    markok's just wanting the F5 so he can say his is bigger than the other guy's & doesn't understand he doesn't need an auto everything camera for shooting on the street.
    See:Henri Cartier-Bresson, Frank, Winogrand, Callahan etc. etc..........
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    35mm
    F3
    35 f1.4
    85 f1.4
    Gitzo

And the world is your oyster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Tougher, faster, and better for event/people photography.
    Doesn't this say Leica?
    I wouldn't care about the F5. If you really want some Pro 35mm SLR for people shooting go for an F100 instead. A lot of the danish press photographers in the late -90 took F100s to Kosovo, Somalia etc with either a couple of primes or the 20-35 zoom because its a more handy camera and it did the job just as well as the F5 would. I have shot with a F90X for some years now and just got a F100 a year or so ago, Neither leaves me wanting anything. Another way to go for people shots is the Mamiya 7II. Ok the lenses are slow but with 6X7cm negs you can afford to shoot fast films without loosing much in quality. Like the Leicas its a rangefinder with a god bright finder and excelent lenses.
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would go with the F5 if you expect to keep the camera for a long time. They are practically indestructible. The only real problem I have seen with them is the battery life is a bit short. I have an F5 - I have since upgraded to an F6 (which is probably out of your reach) - and I wouldn't trade it for a F100 or N80 for any use, neither is in the same class as the F5. Keep in mind, the F5 is a very big, heavy camera.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin