Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,408   Online: 915

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you really want an F5, then go buy it. Life would be so boring if everyone applied so much logic to purchases.

I use an EOS1n as my main 35mm body. It's big and heavy, but I like the k-kluck-vvvrrt noise it makes when I press the button so I'm not getting rid of it.

So if you want an F5, get an F5, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's essential, and make sure you have enough cash left over for film

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffHill View Post
    So if you want an F5, get an F5, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's essential, and make sure you have enough cash left over for film
    Or make sure you have enough cash left over for upgrades of lenses. A camera is just a lightbox with a meter, while the lenses are your brushes. You can't paint with brushes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    Or make sure you have enough cash left over for upgrades of lenses. A camera is just a lightbox with a meter, while the lenses are your brushes. You can't paint with brushes.
    I use a roller & latex. Easier cleanup.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Camera, 35mm lens, Tri-X. Everything else is gravy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    Camera, 35mm lens, Tri-X. Everything else is gravy
    So, essentially I can go and take photos with just my Olympus Stylus Epic[35mm f2.8] Automatic, with a few rolls of Tri-x?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bounce Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I'm going to ask for a good Gitzo tripod for christmas. This one: http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitz...detailPid=5230

Sorry for the long link, and I'm getting the F5 when my Pentax spotmatic/SP 500 breaks. When do you think that wil be? I only dropped it once.
    The more you drop you're Pentax Marko the sooner it will be that you need to replace it.:rolleyes:
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Reply to : "So, essentially I can go and take photos with just my Olympus Stylus Epic[35mm f2.8] Automatic, with a few rolls of Tri-x?"

Yes, absolutely. Not that I would recommend that setup for serious continuous use, but I guarantee any one of the master photographers you can name could make stunning prints with that combo. The best equipment helps get the job done in a timely and efficient manner, but there is no substitute for the knowledge and creative genius of those photographers. They could make photos that would blow you away with anything. It's their creativity, experience, etc...if that's all the equipment you have or all you can afford, then go use it.
    Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    Reply to : "So, essentially I can go and take photos with just my Olympus Stylus Epic[35mm f2.8] Automatic, with a few rolls of Tri-x?"

Yes, absolutely. Not that I would recommend that setup for serious continuous use, but I guarantee any one of the master photographers you can name could make stunning prints with that combo. The best equipment helps get the job done in a timely and efficient manner, but there is no substitute for the knowledge and creative genius of those photographers. They could make photos that would blow you away with anything. It's their creativity, experience, etc...if that's all the equipment you have or all you can afford, then go use it.
    Jed
    i totally agree ...
    if u practice and understand your equipment, you can make
    great photographs with just about anything.

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Alright, I actually sold my first print recently. I did a photo for my friend and got $15. I know its not much to you guys, but it's my first sale!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That is wonderful, Markok! I'm not kidding. That is a great start. The price doesn't matter. It's the fact that you're on the road, and your mind recognizes that you can be a successful photographer, and you have just made someone very happy with a print. I am a chiropractor by profession, but love to do photography of landscapes and nature work. I have "sold" several large prints, ie 16x20 and 20x30 to patients, friends, and staff members. I say "sold" in quotes, because really, as a hobby, I'm not making money. The price I've charged them probably barely covers my own cost. But...that is not what matters at first. It's a head game with yourself as well as a heart game. Your heart is already in it, or you wouldn't be on a forum like this - you'd be over on what I call a "feel good" forum like one at DPreview, where you post a photo and everyone gushes...instead of giving contructive critizism. So...you've got step one.
    Step two is...Once your prints make people go "wow!", then that is the beginning of the "head game". What do I charge? You're really asking yourself, "what am I worth?" You might think you're worth a lot - and you might be. But it takes a while for the public to percieve that. I guarantee that Adams or Shaw or Zuckerman or Rowell ever thought they'ed be getting paid per print what they got for their last print! So...start small, start humble, and raise your prices and people's awareness of you as your photography and printing gets better. You will get to run with the big dogs if you have creativity and passion for your art. And people will pay for a slice of that on their wall.
    You're off to a good start. Don't worry so much about the equipment. I've been there. Wasted a lot of money and time. Had several DSLRs and some of the best SLRs money could buy (such as Maxxum 9) , and guess what I'm back to using? Old manual focus Minolta gear from the '70s. Simple. Fun. Love. I have enough work at "work". Do what you love and it will show.
    Here is just a small sampling of scans from some of my slides if you're interested to see them: http://photo.net/photos/jedtsmith
    If you ever need enouragement, or feel out of steam, just seek inspiration here on a forum like this, or go for a walk out in nature.
    Let me know how it goes,
    Jed

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin