Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,409   Online: 948

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikkor 50mm 1:1.2 in Hanoi

Walking down the street in Hanoi, I found a beautiful used Nikkor 50mm 1:1.2 in a small shop with a difficult shop owner. The man almost did not let me touch his cameras or lenses. He said he wanted 250 dollars (approximately) for the 50mm 1:1.2. By principle, I tried to get the price down a little, but the owner just got angrier and quickly put it away. (His collegue, however, was all smiles, and had the most beuatiful long white beard.)

Now I am inclined to go back and buy the lens for the offered price. It is a good price, is it not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aaah Hanoi. I loved that place. Rather difficult for foreigners; I can so well imagine that shop owner's reaction.
    If you get a chance try to visit Hanoi Gallery at 86 Tran Vu. The owners name is Ngoc Thai...extremely nice man, great photography. I bought a couple of prints from him last year and also sent him one from Istanbul.

The price of the lens doesn't sound too bad. Here http://www.apertureuk.com/used-NMF-L.htma mint- one is sold for 290 pounds.

Cheers, omar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have one of these and the price is good if it is in good condition. I think I paid ~$400 for it, new, in the US.

Not a great lens in terms of sharpness and bokeh, but nevertheless quite nice for the brightness in the VF. It is way brighter than the other 50s, of course.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Get a friend to buy it for you

Hi,

I would second the recommendation about Mr. Ngoc Thai on Tran Vu. Prizes from all over the world, gracious and pretty good English. It's a little bit east of Fivi Market behind Quan Thanh Temple at Truc Bac Lake. Perhaps he could advise you on the best strategy for a purchase. Also, consider asking a Vietnamese friend to make the purchase for you, after you've decided on the absolute highest price you are willing to pay.

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Please consider the fact if may be stolen merchandise. Once you try and insure it back home you might get a surprise.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for your advice. I think I will pick up the lens on Monday, if it is still there.

Looking forward to the gallery, which I certainly will try to visit. However, I am returning to Sweden already on Thursday. Much too short a visit for Vietnam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had friends buy used lenses in small shops in that region with no trouble. I bought a boxed Ex+ 50mm 1.2 three yeras ago for 150 Euro from a dealer in Italy but haven't seen it that low again. To me 250 $ sounds reasonable. I've used it a lot for environmental portraits indoors where it really shines and leaves nothing to be desired. If this is what you have in mind, there is hardly a better lens in Nikon's lineup. Look here, "lens performance" second paragraph: http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/port...kkor/n16_e.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the tip.

I will just love the speed and I do shoot faces more than anything else, so I think it will be suitable.

Did not find time to pick it up yet, but hope to buy it soon.
    Last edited by Erik Petersson; 11-20-2007 at 01:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    About the lens. I went by the shop today, ready to buy it for the price that was offered me. But the owner claims not to have the lens. I think I broke against some courtesy rule - he obviously does not like me. Please tell me, why is it harder for foreigners, do we brake against courtesy rules or similar?

The gallery will be my first stop tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    Aaah Hanoi. I loved that place. Rather difficult for foreigners; I can so well imagine that shop owner's reaction.
    If you get a chance try to visit Hanoi Gallery at 86 Tran Vu. The owners name is Ngoc Thai...extremely nice man, great photography. I bought a couple of prints from him last year and also sent him one from Istanbul.

The price of the lens doesn't sound too bad. Here http://www.apertureuk.com/used-NMF-L.htma mint- one is sold for 290 pounds.

Cheers, omar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's quite bizarre Erik. Can't really say what went wrong there. Maybe he was tired of all the foreigners pushing for a bargain?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin