Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,697   Online: 849

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Lenses, buy now or will it get bette

I just purchased a Canon 300 FD F2,8 Fluorite for apprx.750 dollars.

Good deal, average, or did I screw myself.

I have noticed that probably due to collectors having more money than brains, that with the digital avalanche, some cameras and bodies are more expensive now than they were ten years ago, exotic or rare stuff, but even the general stuff does not seem, on the whole, to be dropping like it might have.

Opinions?
    Bobby
    Addendum:
    I noticed that the Photo Arsenal camera shop/s have a Topcon 300 2.8 for over two grand.
    Their prices generally seem to be very high, to outrageous, does that outfit cater to collectors, or do people overseas just spend more?
    Last edited by BobbyR; 11-18-2007 at 09:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    I just purchased a Canon 300 FD F2,8 Fluorite for apprx.750 dollars.

Good deal, average, or did I screw myself.

I have noticed that probably due to collectors having more money than brains, that with the digital avalanche, some cameras and bodies are more expensive now than they were ten years ago, exotic or rare stuff, but even the general stuff does not seem, on the whole, to be dropping like it might have.

Opinions?

Bobby
    I don't think you screwed yourself. If the dollar were to take a tumble against the yen, you could find that price rising signficantly...
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I think you're mistaken. The present cost of film cameras and their lenses is at an all time low. Look at the averages rather than a single item to base your opinion. If the dollar becomes stronger you will doubtless see prices rise somewhat but I believe that "all time low" will still be applicable. Film is still getting kicked around by digital. <sigh>

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    Their prices generally seem to be very high, to outrageous, does that outfit cater to collectors, or do people overseas just spend more?

If I were the owner of a camera shop in the U.S. such as KEH I'd be taking serious steps to advertise in the U.K. and make buying from the U.S. as easy as possible.

With the current rate of exchange secondhand camera prices in the U.S. are an absolute bargain.

Apparently we Brits are buying up half of Manhattan and Florida according to an article in yesterday's Observer newspaper.

Don't worry. It won't be that many. Well only worry if you see large container ships coming up the Hudson with cargoes of the best tea.

We're better at integrating than we used to be but we draw the line at sacrificing our tea.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Minolta XG-M's and MD/MC mount lenses hit rock bottom two years ago. Didn't realize you still had to pay for less than rock bottom, which is where they are now. Film equipment prices will continue to drop with the advent of digital and as long as there are not too many of US trying to corner the market.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    There are no correct or incorrect answers here; as the opinions from varying areas with give an average of what to expect in different areas and different degrees of common to exotic.

About five years ago when the dollar was strong, and so was my bank account, I bought an Angenieux 200 2.8 for a little over two hundred dollars in Australia including shipping. (At that time I could have had a complete Holden Monaro with a freshly hot rodded V-8 and heavy duty drive train, for less than fifteen thousand dollars including shipping. I regret greatly not finishing the transaction.)

Just wondering what is considered normal these days.
    Bobby

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It depends on the mount. Demand for lenses in mounts usable on digital is going up, especially since Full-frame is making its way outside of the EF mount. However mounts that are not used (or easily adaptable) to digital are going to continue to devalue. So FD and MC/MD shooters note, the deals will continue although not at the same rate since most of the digital-era dumping has already happened. If you shoot manual focus F, K or M42 mount, prices are already climbing and R and C/Y prices have long gone up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Considering the price that 35mm equipment sold for when new, current used prices are a bargain any time.

Can you imagine paying the same price for a Nikon F as a Nikon D300 ?

I've dropped the M42 mount recently (not without some tears, though) partly because it was becoming ridiculously useless to look for lenses. Prices are constantly going up, stocks are low, and bidders are fierce. Nikon F-mount, on the other hand, are everywhere, even though they're not as cheap as most M42.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    In the Japanese market, Canon FD and New FD lenses are cheap also, but the rare items are still pricy. Canon NewF-1 and older F-1 types are becoming collectors' items now, and as a New F-1 shooter myself, this is starting to bother me.

The other day I was looking for an eye-piece ring for my New F-1, and the price was going beyond 2,000 yen (17 USD) or so at Yahoo Japan online auctions (equivalent of eBay).

So, I tend to choose and buy more Nikon and Nikkor gears (Ai-S version) now that are easy to find (even little accessories for various older models) and cheap and very practical.

Also the darkroom stuff is overall still pricy except for real beatup and old domestic semi-professional grade enlargers and enlarging lenses. I'm often amazed to see used Patterson plastic developing tanks selling only slightly less than the original prices at the auction. I mean, used plastic tanks and reels! Meanwhile brand new AP developing tanks and reels which essentially do the same job are widely available for about the same prices.

So, it seems that some people (collectors, resellers, and amateurs) who go after certain brand names regardless of the conditions of the products tend to drive the market prices way too high...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin