Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,947   Posts: 1,557,848   Online: 836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS-1V.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon EOS-1V.

I have this month bought a second-hand Canon EOS-1V body and have a problem with one of the Camera functions. When using the manual exposure mode, the top dial is used to set the shutter and the rear dial for the lens f/stop. The latter is not functioning and I have read through the instructions including the trouble shooting section, but cannot solve this problem. The aperture can be set by pressing the +/- button, but I want the rear dial to work properly.
    I am wondering if there is something that I am doing wrong and what the cause is. I have contacted the Photographic store where I bought it and will take it back there this weekend if I cannot get it to work.
    Any ideas what the problem is?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Please don't think I'm asking stupid questions here, but... The switch to the top-left of the rear dial is set to 'On', isn't it? (That switch turns on/off the rear dial function.)

Mind you, I see you've got the manual, so that probably was a stupid question. Have you checked that none of the custom functions can reassign or disable the function of that dial? I don't have mine or the manual in front of me right now, but that's what I'd check first.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    Please don't think I'm asking stupid questions here, but... The switch to the top-left of the rear dial is set to 'On', isn't it? (That switch turns on/off the rear dial function.)

Mind you, I see you've got the manual, so that probably was a stupid question. Have you checked that none of the custom functions can reassign or disable the function of that dial? I don't have mine or the manual in front of me right now, but that's what I'd check first.
    Hello Tim,

Yes I did make sure that both the switches were set to `on`. I also cancelled all of the `Custom Functions` to see if this was causing the problem. Every thing seems to be working fine except for the rear dial which is annoying me to say the least.

Your reply is appreciated,

Keith.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would do next:

1. Check if rear dial works when used for other functions.
    2. Check at manual if some settings cause rear dial to function different than usuall.
    3. Check lens (lens contacts and camera bayonet contacts) is there some dirt or other things which cause informations between camera and lens are not interacting.

Oh, yes, as you reset all custom functions to factory settings, check does factory setting by default make rear dial to work differently than you expected

Next about reset, it reset only only some funtions to factory settings. For example only CF are reset, but other camera settings are not reset (atleast mine EOS3 reset works that way). Make FULL reset, that is reset custom function settings and all other camera settings to factory settings, then try.

If above things are not causing problems, I think camera is ready for replacing/reapiring.

Good luck.
    Last edited by haris; 11-20-2007 at 01:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've found on my EOS-3 that the custom function reset doesn't always reset everything. You might want to go through the CF's one by one and make sure they're set up the way you want them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Quick Control Dial is on page 17 of the manual, it doesn`t work with the focus point selection either. The top dial is working properly. Manual Exposure mode is on page 65 of the instructions, but no luck.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, make sure you go through all the Custom Functions one by one to reset everything. I think on the 1V it's Custom Function 5 which set the functions of the QCD and the top dial.

Quote Originally Posted by kman627 View Post
    I've found on my EOS-3 that the custom function reset doesn't always reset everything. You might want to go through the CF's one by one and make sure they're set up the way you want them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    I think on the 1V it's Custom Function 5 which set the functions of the QCD and the top dial.
    I tried that, but the QCD still isn`t working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the back removable? If so, try removing it and replacing it. It's possible that some of the pins from the back to the body may not be making correct connection.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am going to take the Camera back to the shop where I bought it and see if they can cure the problem, if not, I will ask for a refund.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin