Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,064   Online: 818

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, I cannot go into all the detail you have, but some of my cameras lock up with the 2x telextender from Nikon, but others don't and etc and etc. It is a mix and match condition there where one has to look at the contact arc of about 5, 7 and 12 contacts and match with the body.

I have 3 bodies that are mutually incompatible and I have to select my lenses carefully.

PE
    Interesting, That's most likely due to flaky contacts than anything else, it's a regular issue with extenders and AF extension tubes, as well as older lenses. And of course some 3rd party glass has firmware issues on newer bodies. The number of contacts only denotes what features a lens has, 5 contacts is general AF, AF-S and VR add contacts.The only major body incompatibility in the AF system is the F601/N6006 which is incompatible with G lenses for some reason (Oddly, the almost identical F601m/N6000 works just fine with G lenses in P and S modes, and is in fact the only manual focus body to support those lenses)

I regularly used to mix and match glass and body era when I was still shooting Nikon AF kit (Heck my current kit is 1 AF lens, 1 AI-S lens and one pre-AI lens that has been AI-Converted, all on a body which can be AI or pre-AI depending on finder)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I appreciate what you are saying, but the problems are all with Nikon equipment. I cannot put a 2x telexender (Nikon) on anything but my 2020. It makes my newer bodies go crazy and cannot focus. My Pronea goes bonkers with some lenses, but not with others. My D70 (leaving out the fact that it is digital) behaves 3 different ways depending on what generation lens I use as denoted by the contacts.

All contacts are clean and of course, gold.

There are other examples but this serves. My Micronikor AF (old) and my new Micronicor behave quite differently on my various camera bodies, and of course the lack of the small metal interlock or the plastic tab on the lens further complicates things. I leave those out of this discusstion.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    The lens-motor equipped lenses are AF-I or AF-S with the latter being the most common (there's also two lenses for the F3AF that once again, you'll never see). only some bodies support AF with these lenses (F4, F5, F6,F90/F90x, F100, F80, F75, F65 and IIRC F60).
    I think the AF-I and AF-S lenses autofocus with:

F4, F5, F6
    F70, F80, F90, F90x, F100 (and US equivalents)

I'm not sure about the F75.

I'm reasonably sure the F65 and F60 won't, but not positive.

I am sure about the F70. I own one and it definitely drives my two AF-S lenses.

The F4 is the big surprise. It was released years before the AF-I lenses were released. Works just fine though.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    The switch is a minimum aperture lock, which you will find on all AF Nikkors other than the G series (which will work only on your F5 because they lack any aperture ring at all). They keep your aperture at F16 (or the minimum on other AF Nikkors) to permit Nikon AF cameras to employ shutter-priority or matrix metering. If your lens is working correctly, you should be able to unlock it by turning it to F16, pushing the black switch next to the red mark up, and then opening up the lens by one or more stops. The lens, by the way, is extremely sharp and should give you good pictures.
    Best wishes and happy Thanksgiving! Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin