Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,658   Online: 797

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikon N75 vs. F75 What is the difference?

I keep one camera loaded with color film and another with B&W. When my workhorse Olympus bit the dust (no parts available to repair it) I decided to buy another N75 since I already was familiar, and satisfied, with operating it and had several lenses. However, I could not find one in B&H, Adorama,etc. so I turned to Ebay. There I bought what I thought was a duplicate of my N75 for $126 (body only). I was surprised when it arrived and it was an F75! Does anyone know what the difference is? The manual is the same.
    " Practicing the arts...is a way to make your soul grow." Kurt Vonnegut

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by barbara ann View Post
    Does anyone know what the difference is? The manual is the same.
    The little label on the front saying "N75" instead of "F75", from the Nikon website (http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ.../f75/index.htm):
    "Nikon F75 is sold as Nikon N75 in the U.S"
    This may also mean Nikon USA won't touch it for repairs but that may or may not be an issue for you.

Images
    Long, long ago I bought a Nikon F70 (gray mkt) from B&H. I also bought a maintenance agreement, but never had to use it. I never ever had a problem with it. It served me well (uh... once I figured out how to use it all. I'm not very "technologized, so my kids say) until my sweet husband left it in the airport. Someone got a sweet lens with it, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No difference at all, functionally.

N-bodies are always US bodies (with the exception of the N2000 and N2020 which were also sold in Canada).

Outside the US (and as mentioned above) all N-bodies have an F-equivalent that was sold everywhere else on Earth.

My Canadian F90 is equivalent to the American N90. My American N8008s is equivalent to the Canadian F801s.

There were some rare situations where the non-American camera had more functionality. I am not aware of this being the case in Nikonland, but the Canon A2 was missing a feature the equivalent EOS-5 had. It seems to me that some non-US cameras in some brands had automatic pop-up flashes and American cameras didn't (something to do with patent issues) but I'm going by memory. Again, I'm not aware of any Nikons that fit this pattern but it's possible.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the info everyone! The $126 I paid included a 3 yr Mack warranty. I do notice however, that the F-body is not as sturdy and attractive as the N-body. But from what you all say, the features are the same. Thanks.
    " Practicing the arts...is a way to make your soul grow." Kurt Vonnegut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Construction should be identical. As for attractiveness, the only difference is the model number on the front. Some models came in both chrome and black, but they were generally available in both in each model number.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin