Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,653   Online: 756

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Questions about fungus

My Helios-44-2 seems to have fungus inside. The aperture blades are pretty oily, so to my untrained eye it might also be oil that has settled on the glass, instead of fungus.

1. How fast does fungus spread? This lens has been like this for about a year, and I havent noticed the stuff on the glass spreading. Its been kept in the dark mostly.

2. Is it safe to use this lens on a camera? I havent noticed any quality loss to the images with this stuff on the glass. Can this lens "infect" other lenses, which are used on the same camera, aswell?

3. What does it look like when there is oil on glass?

4. Any tips or instructions on taking this thing apart? Its not a real loss if I brake it.

Matis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Matis, your lens needs a professional service. I don't think you have got a 'virus' so it's more likely that it's simply the way you are storing your gear. To my cost I kept my Hasselblad lenses in a leather case, unused, for a couple of years in a cupboard which I thought would be ideal. Turns out that leather absorbs moisture and dries out similarly and is just about the worst way to store your gear, and as such now have a fungal problem all of my own making. I do have to ask why the manufacturers produce these products without some form of advisory notice?
    Regards - Allan.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, your lens does need professional service. But until you do so, try placing it in direct sunlight for several hours, then store it in a dry place where light can get to it. This will not cure the problem, but it may stop the growth of additional fungus.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With all due respect, another Helios 44 will cost considerably less than "professional service."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This lens cost me about 6 dollars, so I will get another one eventually. Since imaga quality isn't affected yet, i'm guessing it's okay to use this lens?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin