Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,030   Online: 768

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just checked and, lo and behold, final value fees on eBay.co.uk are a lot more expensive than on eBay.com, especially if you are selling photographic equipment. If you sell toys and games, it's even worse. eBay.co.uk seems to be the only site that has different percentages for different categories of objects.
    My advice: if you have any gear to sell, do it on eBay.com (or on APUG of course).

About whacky prices: I am currently selling three twinpacks of Polaroid Time Zero film on eBay.com. The highest bid stands at US$ 305 with six hours to go. Makes me feel a bit like selling cigarettes on the black market in occupied Europe during WWII.........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [quote=srs5694;550944]I find that the best way to approach an eBay auction is to decide, before you place a bid, what your maximum bid is -- the amount over which you will not pay, period. Then bid that amount. If you win the auction, chances are you won't pay your high bid amount. ...

The solution to this problem is to snipe -- that is, to wait until the last moment and enter your bid then. Many people get angry at the mere mention of sniping, but I don't see a problem with it. /quote]

This is excellent advice for any auction.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    Try KEH and other online stores, as others have mentioned. I have actually bought things for significantly less at KEH than they sell for on ebay, and you get a guarantee and their grading system is very conservative. That being said, I have had a couple of not so great experiences on ebay, nothing drastic, but on all of the other things I have bought I have had great deals so I think at this point I am way way ahead. Good luck.

Patrick

KEH or Samys are my first choices. eBay when nothing else works.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a helpful thread as to which store to check out first.

Over the years I have done business with at least one half dozen of the stores in the back of Modern Photography, and I never had a bad experience; I had one very, very good experience when I had forgotten I sent for a Canon A-1, I was a twenty or so bucks short on the check I sent, for some reason, and before I sent the extra money, I had a real life nasty and totally forgot about it until one day over a year later, a check came in the mail with the original amount I sent.

I no longer remember which store it was, which is kind of sad, as they did good by me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK we've mentioned photo.net, but come on! We haven't mentioned the most obvious one yet...

APUG!!

I've got some great stuff off APUG, and even developed recurring trade/exchange relationships, so that I'm often only one acquaintance away from most gear I may need. Price are reasonable, often slightly below the eBay prices (people usually like to make APUG members a small favor before testing their chance at the auction, as they don't have to pay a posting fee).

Sure, the supply can be erratic and somewhat unpredictable, but you will find some jewels here before finding them anywhere else if you're attentive and patient. Plus, there has been very few cases of stiffing (although they exist, they have been taken care of), and there is a lot of trust between members.

You can always put requests (WTB ads) and have a decent chance of getting what you need. If not, at least someone will point you in the right direction.

As far as classifieds go, APUG's are in the top ten (and yes I'm selling stuff there!)
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    eBay is the epitomy of a free market. Value finds its price level, and the result is not always a fair one. I once shopped in the open flea market in Rome (1970), where my wife and I adopted the technique of one of us actively interested in an item, while the other looked disgusted and kept walking away. It worked most times. I always keep that in mind when using eBay.

I also keep in mind that at that Roman flea market it was possible to buy back the automobile parts that were stolen from your car the week before.
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

Shooter
    35mm
    Being new here, and seeing there is some truly comprehensive knowledge here, I would like to get an abstract of the whys and whereofs, in my latest and getting close to last E-bay dealings.

Now I am one of those who is enamored, even decades ago even when I had no love for Nikon, with a black F2 set-up.
    I was bidding on a F2as with md2-with two battery set-ups, one AA, and one Ni-cad with charger, plus a few other doo-dads.

I only have x amount to spend before I am done camera buying, and the bids on tis sat in the three to four hundred range for days.
    I reluctantlly raised my max to just over 500, as I was not going to get suckered in as I did with my Canon Olympics model.
    In the last hour two gents went nutso and it sold for 667 dollars.

I had checked KEH and other stores, so I guess in a way this is still cheaper, but it seems in the past week selling prices have suddenly jumped.
    Addendum:
    I bid on a Ricoh XR-P because for what ever reason even during the years I was heavily dealing with photography matters, including devouring magazines, Ricoh was one that I paid zero attention to. Exackta, Chinon, Cosina were fairly familiar to me but Ricoh, it was just there and that is all.
    ANYWAY, I bid 52 dollar for a XR-P and MD-3, plus 50mm F2 lens.
    Now not having more than x amount of money to spend, I started thinking "you are stupid to have done that".
    Well I started checking on Ricoh, and found out I could use my nearly unused Pentax screw-mount lenses, with adapter on it, and the opinions of Ricoh, were favourable without exception.
    So I raised my max to 77.77 well it sold for 93 bucks.
    I am sad to not get it but I was not going to pay 100+ bucks, or whatever it took to get it, on a whim.

Do any of you have knowledge on the Ricoh, especially last ones, camera and lenses?
    They seem to be well liked.

In your opinions, is this the normal cycle?
    I am trying to get a Canon F-1N with AE finder(even though my Olympics model was used by one who worked for Sports Illustrated, it is not heavily worn, so I do not want to make it look like my Topcon which shows HEAVY use), which were plentiful when I started bidding and were selling for not low, but reasonable prices, and--NOW--they are scarce, and I dread to see what happens to the one I am bidding on in the last moments. (Yes I am trying to get one for more than slightly less than the stores sell used ones for, which seemed easy not too long ago.)
    Are these collectors, or people with more than average photo knowledge getting a good deal (?), or are there shill bidders out there no matter what E-bay says about shill bidding.
    Bobby

PS--There is a Nikon F2 all black, including all trim on the motors, this is rare, for 600 dollars.
    IF-IF one really wants one, is this as good a price as one will get?
    Last edited by BobbyR; 12-06-2007 at 05:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralcity View Post
    I've won many items at a STEAL!

If your looking to purchase one of the BIG three ( Nikon, Canon, Minolta) you'll find plenty of competion. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a camera that was overlooked for whatever reason. I found a mint
    FE2 in the buy now market.

I purchase Mamiya,Fujica, and Chinon 35mm cameras for 15.00 to 30.00 a pop. If you dont collect then these cameras may be useless to you. For me their GEMs. My Fujica ST801 is a beautiful camera and extremely overlooked by photo enthusiast.
    I know how you feel.
    IF-IF I had the money and SPACE, I could start my own mini-museum buying some of the lesser known makes or parts.
    It could be addicting.

Bobby

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    I only have x amount to spend before I am done camera buying, and the bids on tis sat in the three to four hundred range for days.
    I reluctantlly raised my max to just over 500, as I was not going to get suckered in as I did with my Canon Olympics model.
    In the last hour two gents went nutso and it sold for 667 dollars.
    If by this you mean that the bidding history showed a series of multiple bids in the final hour from two people, each attempting to outbid the other, then this is not at all uncommon. It's a seller's dream and a buyer's nightmare. It also means that neither of the individuals involved was bidding rationally; they were treating eBay like a live auction, which it isn't, and there's a good chance that one or both got caught up in the excitement and ended up paying too much (this isn't really 100% certain, but it's a strong possibility). Rather than look at this as a case of your losing the auction, I suggest you look at it as somebody else having been suckered. That might at least help ease your pain.

Do any of you have knowledge on the Ricoh, especially last ones, camera and lenses?
    I've got a Ricoh XR-X 3PF, which I bought new in 1995. It's my most-used camera at this point. It does everything I want it to do, and it's particularly good for night photography because its light meter is so sensitive. My main gripe with it is that the advanced features are difficult to use because they're accessed via an awkward series of icon-based menus using just a couple of top-panel buttons and a thumbwheel. It just takes too long to switch between auto exposure and manual, or to turn on exposure compensation or any of the other nifty features the camera supports.

I can't comment on Ricoh lenses since I don't own any; I've always used third-party lenses with mine. Since it takes K-mount lenses, these are easy to find. I've even got a couple of Pentax lenses that I use with my Ricoh.

Back to eBay, I presume....

In your opinions, is this the normal cycle?
    Are these collectors, or people with more than average photo knowledge getting a good deal (?), or are there shill bidders out there no matter what E-bay says about shill bidding.
    Shill bidders do exist, but they can be hard to spot, and I don't know how common they are. Speaking as a buyer, the worst problem with eBay bidding is those who get into irrational bidding wars. The best way to combat this is to research eBay prices and remember that another one like what you're looking at will come along, so if the price goes too high, wait. If you can't wait, go to KEH or some other outlet.

To research prices, begin by doing a search for current auctions using the eBay search feature. When the list of current auctions appears, look down the left column for a check-box marked "completed auctions." Check it and click the "Show Items" button. This will bring up a list of recently completed auctions that match your criteria, including their final sale prices. If you expect to pay $400 for Item X but you see that Item X has been selling for $500-$800 recently, then your chances of getting it at your desired price are low. If, OTOH, you see it's been selling for $300-$500, then you'll very likely be able to pick one up for $400, but you might be outbid once or twice before you find one for your target price. Patience is a virtue with eBay.

You might also want to consider sniping -- bidding once at the very end of the auction (within the last few seconds). This has the advantage of keeping your interest in the item hidden from others; nobody will be able to enter those annoying incremental bids that creep the item price up slowly. If the person who enters such bids is legitimately interested, he or she can certainly enter a bid -- even a big one -- and could well win in the end, but bid-probing (and shill bidding) won't be as much of a problem, and you won't lose out to somebody who gets competitive and enters a higher bid than yours just to win. Of course, an incremental bidder could still play that game against another bidder, but I find that less annoying than when an incremental bidder is causing my own bid to go up directly. Note that you can snipe directly, via a sniping service, or via sniping software. Personally, I use JBidWatcher, which is a Java-based program that runs on most OSes.

I notice that your descriptions of your previous auctions had you losing auctions by a substantial amount. This means that at least two people were willing to pay more than you were -- in an eBay auction, the final price is set by the second highest bidder, with a few exceptions relating to very close auctions and unusual auction types. This could be a case of an irrational bidding war with two or more irrational parties, or it could be that you're simply undervaluing the item in question compared to its market value. I'm sure we'd all love to get pristine Nikons or Hasselblads for $5, but that won't happen on eBay any more than in a brick-and-mortar camera store.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    To research prices, begin by doing a search for current auctions using the eBay search feature. When the list of current auctions appears, look down the left column for a check-box marked "completed auctions." Check it and click the "Show Items" button. This will bring up a list of recently completed auctions that match your criteria, including their final sale prices. If you expect to pay $400 for Item X but you see that Item X has been selling for $500-$800 recently, then your chances of getting it at your desired price are low. If, OTOH, you see it's been selling for $300-$500, then you'll very likely be able to pick one up for $400, but you might be outbid once or twice before you find one for your target price. Patience is a virtue with eBay.
    I took your advice and did a little checking; the result is I have not done too badly. Of course some rather extreme bid winners make the average better, but even with those odd-balls, I did OK.(The single winning bids on items hundreds of dollars over the average, leave you wondering just WHO buys these, plus I have seen some "buy it now" deals, with one bid or offer that were very good deals for the one bid or offer"

I noticed that it seems items go up for bids in, for lack of a better word-clusters. If one gets into the cluster early, that one will do better than a late arrival.

I see the Nikon F2 brigade still loves it dearly, with only an odd one or two, that go for genuinely low prices.
    They probably were fortunate to catch a dead-zone with their bidding.

I noticed that among the Ricohphiles, most sell between a quarter and half a Franklin, but there are some items that hit fifty almost immediately, which means that the last hours the seller will do probably quite well.

Cross referencing between E-bay and the retail stores, helps give one a good idea when the retail stores has a genuinely better deal, and sometimes they do.
    Ya Gotta love it, in the long run.

Bobby

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin