Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,861   Online: 779

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    This leads to my rule of thumb for ebay purchases: Low ball your bids and plan on losing most of the bids. If you are winning a large percentage of your bids (say more than 20% at the highest) you are probably paying too much.
    I will have to agree with this one hundred percent, I was just browsing through some of the high priced EOS items, and every once in awhile some one gets one for dirt cheap prices.

Shooter
    35mm
    Concerning lowball bids: It's a question of time vs. money. If you've got hours upon hours to search through eBay listings, and if you don't need an item soon, you can get great bargains by lowball bidding. This strategy places a rather low value on your own time, though. Remember, you've got to read the auction to spot any "gotchas" ("a few cleaning marks" on a lens, sellers with 80% approval ratings, shipping costs, etc.), and in some cases research specific products. All this can add up to several minutes per auction, or even hours if you're bidding on unique items that require a lot of research. I'm certainly not going to waste an hour of my time to save $5 on an auction for film (that's why I seldom buy film on eBay -- it's usually cheaper at B&H or Freestyle, especially when you consider my time costs). I might spend an hour or two placing a couple dozen bids on a pricey lens if it means saving $200, though. Of course, if you enjoy futzing around on eBay, that's another matter, but if you view it from a more pragmatic point of view, remember to factor in your own time when you go with the lowball bidding strategy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Having read that some here are quasi-to genuine ebay pros, I watched an auction finish just now with with sniping extraordinaire.

It was an EOS 3 which was quite low priced, especially as it had the manuals.

I do a search in ebay for things that I find especially interesting and put them in my "favorite places" , for quick retrieve and view them as I think of them.

If I forget them and miss the auction no biggie.

I decided I absolutely do not need an EOS 3 but it is a nice camera and the price seemed low and too stable.
    When the auction hit the last minute I continually hit the refresh button and watched it go from 177 to 224 in the last twenty seconds.
    The two who were sniping had no previous bids on it.
    Fascinating.
    Bobby

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin