Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,971   Online: 1160

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Need your opinions for Nikon

Hello Everyone,

I have been selling a lot of gear off these last few days ( ebay ) and now I need to get rid of another camera. I have an F5 like new and a F100 like new, I want to only keep one Which one would you keep if you had to get rid of one?

Thanks,

Kevin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I sold my F5 and kept my F100. I sometimes miss the F5 but I like the option to "go small" with the F100, when I don't need the vertical grip. So it was purely an issue of convenience. I didn't consider either camera to be a particularly good long term investment- I use 'em and abuse 'em and that's that.

I think the only breakdown issue one hears about with regard to either of these cameras is that the F100 has a weak rewind fork, but my understanding is that it is fixable.

If I were to select a Nikon for long term collectibility, I think I'd go with an fm3a.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Hello Keith,

Which one do you think you would get more for on the used market today?

Thanks,

Kevin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Because of multiple locations, I have two F5's and three F100's.

If forced down to one - I'd go with the F100 for all the reasons Keith mentioned - particularly the fact you can "scale down" the F100 by removing the "extra" battery pack.

BTW: the F6 uses the F100 idea of a detachable "super battery pack" with all of the doodads plus more of the F5. I'm thinking of doing some "strategic selling" myself.

Oh, as to your other query - the F5 is still commanding a better resale to orignal price than the F100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Indeed, the F5 sells for more, and probably always will. It is a sturdier camera with better sealing and is virtually indestructible. The F100 gained fame as the "backup" camera that just happened to be damn good in its own right.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the F100 has better resale value than the F5. F5 new was near $2000 and are sold for around $500-$600 while F100 new was less than $1000 and are selling used for more than $300.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Indeed, the F5 sells for more, and probably always will. It is a sturdier camera with better sealing and is virtually indestructible. The F100 gained fame as the "backup" camera that just happened to be damn good in its own right.
    This is an excellent observation.

I sometimes wonder if the F100 was/is the proto-type for the F6?

It's clear that the F5 was an "improvement" on the F4. But the body-style of the F6 suggests it's roots are really in the F100!

I don't see any reason to get to arguing over relative resale value. If you want to maximize cash right now, b/w the two I'd keep the F100 and sell the F5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tough choice. The F100 by itself is a more flexible camera. If you are seriously downsizing to only one camera, that'd be the one to keep.

If you have an F90x or something kicking around, I'd keep the F5 instead.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    The F6's roots are in the D series of bodies, sans the built-in battery pack.

Sell both and get the F6. Best of all worlds. :-]
    What would Dziga Vertov do?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I have an F3HP I am going to keep as a manual camera and wanted only one auto one. So I guess the F100 is the one to keep.. Next the 105 2.8 and 80-200 2.8 go as well! cleaning house is something I should have done a long time ago...

Thank you again,

Kevin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin