Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,058   Online: 961

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The current mounts are either TX or some other mount. If they are TX, you need a TX to Minolta MD adapter, either to replace the existing adapter or to fit where there is none. If something else, then you either need an adapter or a different camera. According to Stephen Gandy, http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptslr.htm, the adapters are available for M42 (Universal Screw Mount) and Exakta. Both of those mounts are really easy to recognize. So the first question is, what is the current mount?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My vivitar zoom on srt markings

Mine is a 35-70 from the mid 80's, and on the bottom of the lens barrel opposite the aperture adjusting ring is reads: lens made in japan m/md.

The MD part is actually not used on the SRT, only the x700 to know when the lens was stopped down to minimum aperutre when in P mode. MC mounts, if they were made, will work on an srt just fine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    I have a Vivitar 100-300 f5 zoom in the TX mount. .....mounts are available in various styles. Unlike the T mount, the TX mount allows for the automatic aperature features to be used.
    Correct. I've had Vivitar lenses with this mount also (in the mid-70's), but I didn't think the Series 1 came is the TX. It may be easier and cheaper to find Minolta lenses for your camera.
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm

28-85mm Vivitar Zoom for Minolta

Just to confirm what can be inferred from earlier posts:

The Vivitar 28-85mm f3.5-f4.5 Macro zoom for Minolta (62mm filter thread) that I have says MC on the front (in white) and M/MD (in red) on the mount face. These two designations indicate a Minolta mount, either of which would be just fine on an SRT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    to allay some of the confusion with interchangable mounts. They have been around for years in various forms.
    The original T mount was used with Preset lenses Only.
    T2 Don't remember but it was there.
    T4 was a Vivitar product with auto-aperture
    TX was a Vivitar " of improved design.
    None of the mounts are interchangable between designs, so a T2 mount won't work with a T4 lens
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    billdele
    The Vivitar 28-85mm f3.5-f4.5 Macro zoom for Minolta (62mm filter thread) that I have says MC on the front (in white) and M/MD (in red) on the mount face.
    Mine is the same; however, I just noticed om the mount face is : N/AI-S
    This, I'm guessing, doesn't designate a Minolta. So, if these 2 lenses aren't not for my Minolta, I guess I'll need to find an adapter for the macro {the one I really would like to have} and sell the other Vivitar lens.

Thanks, so much for everyone's posts!
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelygirl View Post
    billdele

This, I'm guessing, doesn't designate a Minolta. So, if these 2 lenses aren't not for my Minolta, I guess I'll need to find an adapter for the macro {the one I really would like to have} and sell the other Vivitar lens.

Wheelygirl,

N/AI-S would definitely indicate that they are Nikon mounts with the later "AI-S" aperture setting system.

I don't know of anyway you can adapt these to fit a Minolta mount.

Back in the day when these were made, the key competitive factor (and still is) between the Japanese camera companies was to have proprietary mounting systems (i.e. so you couldn't buy a Canon body and mount a much superior Nikon lens).

Vivitar had some special licensing arrangements which cut across the lines by letting them offer lesser grade lenses with mounts for each manufacturer's (a.k.a. "original equipment manufacturers" or "OEMs") system.

Vivitar got a toe-hold in the business by being (a) the first to offer 35mm zooms at all; and (b) later on, by continuing to offer cheaper zooms than the OEMs. But all along, they sold them as if they were "proprietary" with specific OEM mounts.

I suggest you either try to return these lenses or re-sell them on eBay and learn a lesson to make sure the next one's fit your gear before you bid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The N/AIS measn Nikon AIS mount.
    Maybe you could get a nikon FE or a FM2 for not much money

Quote Originally Posted by wheelygirl View Post
    billdele

Mama took my APX away.....

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi again to one and all!
    Just to let y'all know--I did not buy these lenses I mentioned earlier in this thread. I got these as gifts from a wonderful source! And from this same source I received 2 other lenses: a MD Minolta Celtic f/3.5 135mm; a Kenko 2X MX Teleplus MC7. So, needless to say, I'm beginning to "swim" in lenses and good fortune!! This same source also, may be giving me another 'surprise' tomorrow, the 3rd.
    I can barely wait to see what happens next, with regards to my camera!!
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, if you didn't have to buy the lenses, why not buy a camera to fit them? Kidding! Maybe the other surprise will be a camera to fit them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin