Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,261   Online: 835

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    [for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

A bit of help, please!!

I got 2 new-to-me lenses, today. One is a Vivitar 28-85mm macro focusing zoom, and the other a Vivitar Series 1 28mm Auto Wide angle.
    Now, I am only guessing, but I seem to need an adaptor for both, to attach to my Minolta SRT 101? So, for those good folks "out there" who know about these lenses and/or the Minolta SRT 101 and if they all 'play nice together'--please post info & OPs.

Thanks in advance!!
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelygirl View Post
    I got 2 new-to-me lenses, today. One is a Vivitar 28-85mm macro focusing zoom, and the other a Vivitar Series 1 28mm Auto Wide angle.
    Now, I am only guessing, but I seem to need an adaptor for both, to attach to my Minolta SRT 101? So, for those good folks "out there" who know about these lenses and/or the Minolta SRT 101 and if they all 'play nice together'--please post info & OPs.

Thanks in advance!!
    I hate to be discouraging, I have owned only 2 Vivitar lenses and it was a long time ago, but, notwithstanding the acknowledged quality of the Series 1 lenses in particular, I believe that Vivitar only made lenses with specific fixed mounts and not with interchangeable adapters (only Tamron did this, IIRC, with their "Adaptall" system). Assuming your lenses are not Minolta fitting, if you could get an adapter to fit the lenses to your Minolta, they would only focus very close!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Every major camera company has its own unique lens attachment, or mount, for their cameras. Some camera companies have even changed their mounting system along the way. Basically, a Canon len will fit only Canon cameras, Nikon lenses fit only Nikons, etc. Lens makers like Vivitar, Sigma, etc produce lenses, then at the factory, attach adapters to fit specific camera brands.

I'll have to check the Vivitar lenses we have at the university, but many of these secondary market lens companies put some indication on the adapter as to which brand of camera it goes to. Any markings on yours?

Your "problem" is that if they do not have a Minolta adapter on them, you will have to find someone to remove the aptapter that is on them now and replace it with the one that will fit your camera. I do not know if this is worthwhile to do or not -- cost and time wise. Hopefully someone else here will have some more specific info about changing adapters. I just checked the Vivitar website and it had only digital cameras on it.

So you may be stuck with lenses you can not use.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How does the mounting of the lens look like?
    could you post a picture or 2 somewhere?
    I guess that if the lenses are in M42 mount (screw) you can find adapters in places like Freestyle or Porteer's camera
    If the mount is a bayonet (with flanges) it will be very hard to exchange for a Minolta mount.

As a reference when you bid on eBay check that the lens has aMinolta ount (MD) or ask the question before bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelygirl View Post

Thanks in advance!!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I think Vaughn is correct in what he tells you. If both lenses have the exact same type of mount and given the age of an SRT 101, then it would probably be cheaper to buy an old camera body of the make which those two lenses were made to fit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I knew there was a resource for this
    http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html

A minolta mount should look like this:

If it does not, then loook in the page and locate what mount it is
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wheelygirl,

I just checked two Vivitars we have here -- both are marked. The 35mm has a red "CA" -- it is for Canons, and the 28mm is marked "Ni/F" -- for Nikon F series cameras. Both markings were on the bottom of the mount/lens.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    I hate to be discouraging, I have owned only 2 Vivitar lenses and it was a long time ago, but, notwithstanding the acknowledged quality of the Series 1 lenses in particular, I believe that Vivitar only made lenses with specific fixed mounts and not with interchangeable adapters (only Tamron did this, IIRC, with their "Adaptall" system). Assuming your lenses are not Minolta fitting, if you could get an adapter to fit the lenses to your Minolta, they would only focus very close!

Regards,

David
    David is on the right lines, but there seems to have been a similar idea with Vivitar called the TX mount which allowed fitting to different cameras. I don't think it was ever greatly popular in the UK, but Google will get you a few adaptors for sale in the US, including Minolta! If you scroll down to the bottom of the page at the link below you'll see one. This still doesn't mean that this is the type of lens you have, but hopefully it helps solve part of the mystery.

http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/catalog/bx31.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Vivitar 100-300 f5 zoom in the TX mount. The mount that came with the lens is a screw mount, but mounts are available in various styles. Unlike the T mount, the TX mount allows for the automatic aperature features to be used.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, I had a 55-135 Vivitar zoom in an interchangeable mount for Nikon. That was in the early 1970's. I don't think Vivitar ever made interchangeable mounts in the Series 1 lenses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin