Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,272   Posts: 1,534,535   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fungus

Shooter
    35mm

Fungus

How expensive is it to fix a Nikon auto focus lens with fungus?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ask Nikon or a Nikon service shop. And when you ask them, tell them which lens you're asking about.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    How expensive is it to fix a Nikon auto focus lens with fungus?
    As a rough guide, fungus can be fixed completely only when it is at the "dust speckle" stage. Once it has progressed to looking like ice crystals, a complete cure would involve dismantling the lens in question, cleaning off the fungus, repolishing and recoating the pitted glass surfaces and re-assembly with collimation. In almost all cases, all this work would cost (far) more than the lens is worth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David is correct In Theory. From a practical standpoint though, Depending on the lens it's a matter of cleaning & reassembly. The precision involved in manufacturing the assemblies takes much of the slop out of reassembling a lens made in the last 30-40 years. If you've put the thing together in the correct sequence it's gonna work & collimating the lens will make no difference in picture quality. For technical photography possibly, general work---nada----- nothing you're going to see.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which 35-70 AF zoom? f/3.3-4.5? f/2.8? Don't be so coy, tell us everything including how much fungus and where. If the f/3.3-4.5, $100 is too much for a good one; you can get a good one from KEH for ~ $50. If the f/2.8, maybe but you still probably shouldn't.

Shooter
    35mm

Fungus

OK here is the bottom line, would any of you buy a Nikon 35-70 f2.8 AF zoom, for less than a hundred dollars, hoping repair would not make is not a deal?---"The glass has haze on the internal elements. This may have a softening affect on image quality."
    Bobby

PS--I checked KEH, and I guess I am stuck (I do NOT absolutely need this lens) between taking a gamble or waiting if I do need one, to simply go to a store and get one that is fine with a warranty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't need the lens, remember the most common bit of advice in Monty Python & The Holy Grail. Run away! Run away!

Haze isn't fungus. Fungus isn't haze.

"This may have a softening effect on image quality" means that you can count on the lens to pass light and form an image and that's all.

Run away! Run away!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    OK here is the bottom line, would any of you buy a Nikon 35-70 f2.8 AF zoom, for less than a hundred dollars, hoping repair would not make is not a deal?---"The glass has haze on the internal elements. This may have a softening affect on image quality."
    Bobby

PS--I checked KEH, and I guess I am stuck (I do NOT absolutely need this lens) between taking a gamble or waiting if I do need one, to simply go to a store and get one that is fine with a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    If you don't need the lens, remember the most common bit of advice in Monty Python & The Holy Grail. Run away! Run away!

"This may have a softening effect on image quality" means that you can count on the lens to pass light and form an image and that's all.

Run away! Run away!
    Bobby,

It's hard to answer your question without knowing your risk tolerance. If a price under a C-note is not a financial burden to you - it might be worth the gamble.

I have a 35-70/2.8 and it's a very nice lens.

The seller is being honest with you - and may also be a bit naive. Where is the seller located? If she/he's in a humid climate you may have a situation where there is embedded moisture in the lens creating the hazing effect.

Drying it out may be all it needs if you are in a drier climate.

------------------------

Dan,

You speak with some authority about the haze not being fungus.

What would be your thinking as to what is causing the haze?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you gents; my gut instinct said no and your answers pretty much tell me there are are fish in the pond.
    Thanks again,
    Bobby

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    ------------------------

Dan,

You speak with some authority about the haze not being fungus.

What would be your thinking as to what is causing the haze?
    Not to tread on Dan's toes, but as I understand it, almost all zoom lenses change focal length by moving a central lens group back and forth. This means that the volume of the internal air spaces within the lens change and in turn means that a lens has to have some small breather holes (otherwise you couldn't work the zoom). This opens the way for air to enter the lens. If this air is humid, haze may form. If it is dirty (tobacco smoke, etc.), the haze may be more persistent and will not disappear when the lens is warmed up. Mold spores are I believe frequently present in the air, if they enter the lens through the breather holes and are then left in warm humid conditions, mold growth will result.

I try to combat mold by not buying second-hand lenses with any visible speckles inside, by storing lenses in cases or plastic bags with silica gel sachets, and by drying gear carefully if it has been out in damp conditions. Many times I ahve driven home from a landscape shoot with the car heater up full and the camera bag open on the passenger seat. In poor conditions I usually carry a towel and wrap the camera in the towel immediately if any water drops fall onto it.

Regards,

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin