Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,360   Online: 767

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Camera Kit for Urban Exploration?

I was wondering what to bring when I go urbexing.

Here are my/your choices

Full 35mm Kit.
    Pentax
    Pentax Spotmeter V
    35mm
    55mm
    105mm
    External flash
    Filters.
    Tripod

P&S
    Olympus Stylus Epic
    Tripod

Toy
    Holga
    External flash
    Tripod.

And films for all.

What do you think? I'm leaning toward the full kit, but it may restrict climbing a bit. I also would carry the olympus in a pocket.

Thanks, and keep photographing!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    SLR with one lens, or a rangefinder.

Kiron kid

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rangefinder is perfect for street photography. I personaly love the Mamiya 6. But for your choices, I'd take the Pentax with 35 and 55. Shoot some 400 speed film, I love Fuji Neopan 400 in Xtol 1:1. But the best advice I have to offer is... Take the Holga!!!

Brian

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll go with the smallest and most-discreet SLR or rangefinder you have. You need a way to stay incognito while doing street photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For urbex, I'd take fast film, a tripod, and a wide zoom if you have one. The canon 17-40 f/4 (or 16 - 35 f/2.8 if you are rich) are ideal.

I'm not sure where youre exploring, but if you aren't meant to be there, using flash will ensure everyone knows you are there. I wouldnt bother carrying all the gear you are talking about. It just gets in the way

Shooter
    35mm
    What exactly do you intend to "explore"? A tripod can be useful, but if you intend to walk around a lot and/or get into small/awkward places I think it's going to hinder more than help.

My suggestion would be to take the Stylus Epic (no tripod) the first time you try this - it has something of an integrated flash, and is very small and light. If you find you're actually in places where you can use a tripod and/or a bigger camera, do that next time (and if you find yourself walking around for hours, weight will be an issue as well).

Actually, if you end up doing this a lot, another option might work better for you - an Argus C3, aka "The Brick" - mass-produced American rangefinders, not pretty, but solid, cheap, and plentiful. The lenses on these things are really sharp, and in a pinch you can use one as a weapon And, if you lose it, damage it, or have it stolen, no big deal, get another one. I got mine from a guy on another forum for a premium - $35 - as he had actually used it and could confirm it worked as intended. They usually go for cheaper than that on eBay (although you might need a handheld light meter with The Brick if you're not going to be able to use "Sunny 16" reliably).
    Last edited by mabman; 12-05-2007 at 02:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go with what you've got. The Pentax with the 35mm zonefocussed and taped at say 3-5m and f/8-11.
    Put in some fast film e.g. Neopan 1600 and you should get reasonably eksposures in even dull light.
    The Holga with 400-3200 ISO film will do too. You could even do som color shots with it that would be cool.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Kodak reflex brownie and efke r100 film. No flash (just hold the shutter open longer) No tripod. Cool!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Make sure you have the correct explorer's outfit too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inpith2.gif  
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    one camera one lens ... the olympus is OK,
    you just have ot remember where it is focusing
    (since it zone focuses and is always wide open ).
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin