Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,153   Online: 980

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi - actually, the AE-1 is shutter-priority. The AV-1 was the aperture-priority model of the same vintage. The A-1 is both, plus a program mode. I remember spending most of my summer job proceeds as a 14 year-old in the late 70's on an AE-1. I still have that camera, and it still works fine!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
    Thanks again, everyone!

After days of mulling it over, reading reviews online, and searching on eBay, I feel completely OVERWHELMED by everything. At this point I think I would really prefer to get an old fully manual camera, but after reading that the older Canons don't have aperture priority, I'm not sure what to do. I am highly frustrated - should I try another brand like Pentax, Minolta, or Nikon? I feel like I can always get another EOS camera (a really nice one) once I re-learn some of the manual stuff, but there are still soooo many pros & cons to each of the old models.

Also, some of you suggested professional models and I am looking more for student models because A) I'm not a pro, and B) I want to spend as little money as possible and still get a high-quality, durable older camera and buy a couple of lenses (28-90ish and 90-300 if possible, or some similar variation).
    If you get a Canon F-1/n with a Servo EE Finder, it does set the aperture for you; the Nikon F-2 camera has a similar item available.

Now a month ago these went for not outrageous prices, but recently they have not been around, and the one Canon Servo EE, recently, they tried to sell without the aperture adjusting arm.

Of course there is the Nikon FM2 or Pentax LX, and many others.
    Bobby

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    Try the Elan 7N or 7Ne or the 3. All three cameras will last a long time. If you want to really splurge, get the 1V.
    Ditto. The 7N is a nice camera. Relatively light and small for an EOS and pretty quiet. Well spec'd too (no spot meter). I no longer have access to the one I used to use, so I skipped the 3 and went straight to the 1V. Awesome camera.

If I did it again, I would still buy the 1V, but the 3 looks like a better deal. 99% of the functionality at 50% of the cost.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin