Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,658   Online: 1016

Shooter
    35mm

Is it worth having my cameras CLA'd after period of little use?

I've got a Pentax LX and a couple of Super A's that have been used pretty infrequently over the last 5 years or so . I intend to remedy that, and was wondering if it would be worth having them CLA'd and getting a general checking over just for good measure.

None of them have been serviced or needed repairs since I bought them (all new) but neither are any of them showing any obvious signs of problems or old age, and I wouldn't say that any of them have been worked excessively or treated roughly.

Thanks, and all thoughts appreciated

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just test them by putting film through them, don't pay for a CLA unless they really do need it and malfunction. Camera servicing is very expensive.

My Pentax's have all had very heavy use & never needed servicing.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I asked the same question to a camera repair shop in Canada.
    Their reply was the same as Ian's post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Should be OK, but deterioration of electronics and rubber seals is more time-dependent than use-dependent. See if you can check the meters against another meter (either handheld or built-in) that you know to be working well, and lightly touch the rubber seals (such as the one under the screen against which the mirror comes to rest) with your finger. If any seals feel sticky or do not rebound when you press them lightly with your finger, they need replacing! As a rough check, open the camera back, place a piece of white paper over the film gate and observe the camera from the front with lenspaper from the front with lens removed when you fire the shutter at various speeds. If you don't see a perfect rectangle, this could indicate that the shutter is tapering (not opening until partway through its travel). If the cameras pass these rough checks, I would agree to shoot a test roll with each before photographing anything important!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If a camera works fine in the coldest temperatures you expect to shoot in, use it. If not, it might be time for a CLA. After maybe 35 years some of my Nikon gear is sometimes sluggish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cameras are not like cars, and don't need regular servicing in fact it may cause more problems than it cures, "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
    I agree with with David, and Ian, just run a test film through them.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin