Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,867   Online: 933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon F2?

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F2?

Is 300 dollars for an F2 EE aperture unit too high?

I just quit a bidding war at 277 and it sold for 333, meanwhile a similar unit is offered for auction for now, 300.

Is there a "thing" right now, and I do mean in the past several weeks for F2 camera particulars, prices have jumped by hundreds of dollars in several weeks.
    Bobby
    Last edited by BobbyR; 12-12-2007 at 10:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    F2 prices and accessories seem to have been stable for some time. This generalization applies to average cameras. If a camera is in exceptional, truly mint or NIB condition, then the values have appreciated somewhat as they have for the F and other collectible Nikons.

That particular accessory is not sold in any volume to be able to affix a "standard" price. I saw one sell for over $400. a year or two ago on eBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These units are not terribly practical (an F4S or an F3HP is less expensive and does more than an F2 with one, not to mentioning these units use a proprietary rechargeable battery that is expensive to rebuild), so these prices seem to be based on how collectible the devices are.

Given that, a unit in good shape is going to sell for a few dollars, and if there is a perception that these items are hard to find, the prices will only go up.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In regard to the servo EE accessory. It begs the question why bother? Other forms of automation are less expensive, more compact and more reliable.
    As an oddball accessory its value is inflated by the collectors market, not usefulness
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the EE unit never really worked that well. I think manually adjusting the aperture is easier. However, it's a great conversation piece and if you buy one then consider only for collecting.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I think the EE unit never really worked that well. I think manually adjusting the aperture is easier. However, it's a great conversation piece and if you buy one then consider only for collecting.
    All true. An interesting conversation piece, neat to see it work. They sold for over $600 when new, and were never very practical. The battery was good for 15~30 minutes. I've made replacement batteries out of VARTA rechargeable cordless phone batteries, cost ~$10. Used it a couple of times for the novelty factor, then quit.

There were three versions, a DS-1 for the DP-2 and DP-3; DS-2 which added a PC sync terminal, also for the DP-2 and DP-3; and the DS-12 for the DP-12. The DS-1 was available in a flat black finish and later in a raised finish. The DS-2 and DS-12 were in the raised finish.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    In regard to the servo EE accessory. It begs the question why bother? Other forms of automation are less expensive, more compact and more reliable.
    As an oddball accessory its value is inflated by the collectors market, not usefulness
    I agree that there are simpler forms of automation, but the fact that the OP is using an F2 to begin with leads me to believe that he uses as well as collects camera equipment.

Although many here often disagree with me about the beauty of collecting and using old camera gear, there are many of us who enjoy old cameras and the accessories produced for them.

I think it would be fun to have the AE attatchment on an F2AS! Not everyone views photography as a "practical means of recording a visual image". There is also the fun factor as well. Using old gear is fun. Fun can be inspirational. Inspiration can lead to great photographs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you checked the prices for them on sites like KEH, Cameta, B&H, Adorama? All sell used cameras and you can get a good idea of going rates as well. Personally I feel more comfortable buying from them vs. from an auction on Ebay.

I bought my FM2n and FE2 from KEH and they were both in excellent condition and reasonably priced.
    WJS/wi/usa

That device sounds about as clumsy as a Visoflex. The F2 is a great camera though, one of the best 35mm cameras ever. But I think (like Leica M's) it's best used in its simpler forms.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sover Wong on his repair site has a Quicktime video showing the DS-12 in action. Great F2 repair BTW.

http://www.geocities.com/sover_wong/...r_Service.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin