Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,628   Online: 980

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

F6 safe for IR film?

Has anyone used HIE (or any other IR film) in a Nikon F6? Are there any IR frame counters that can cause fogging?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    check this link:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

it seems F6 is fine:

"Infra-red film can be used in most Nikon 35mm SLR cameras, the exceptions to this are the F80, F75, F65 and F55 all of which use a frame counter which uses infra-red light and should not be used with infra-red film as fogging may occur.

Please note that precautions should be taken if using infrared film with a camera that has a "Film confirmation window". Infrared light can pass though the foam light trap and fog the film (the light trap will block light that normal films are sensitive to, preventing fogging). To prevent this, cover the "film confirmation window" with opaque "gaffer", "duct" or electrical insulating tape to prevent infra red light leaking through and causing fogging on the film"

Shooter
    35mm
    Craig

You may want to tape a small piece of foil over the little plastic window on the camera back. Use black electrical of Gaffers tape. Many opaque and especially transparent plastics are not impervious to infrared light. I burn my Kodak B/W IR in an older FM or FE body. I meter (ASA 320) and focus through a deep red (#29) filter. With non-opaque (reds, etc) there's no need to re-adjust your focus point. With opaque IR filters, you'll want to adjust the focus point. Use a wide angle lens, in the f/8-f/11 area. Here are a few snaps made using this method.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3846325...7602654245577/

Let us know how you do. It's addictive...

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you probably want to ensure that Data Imprinting is also turned off. I haven't tried it yet with my F6, but I've been wanting to. I'd be interested in your results.
    Bob

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin