Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,740   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Do you only use a single lens with your interchangeable lens cameras

It occurred to me the other day that while both of my main user cameras were SLRs and could take a variety of lenses, I only use one lens most of the time. For the Nikon N80, I have a Nikkor 24mm, 50mm, and 70-210mm. For the OM1, I have a Zuiko 50mm and Vivitar Ser1 70-210mm. My "go to" lens for both cameras is their respective 50mm lenses. For both cameras, I think I would be just as well served by a 35mm or 40mm lens, but I went with the 50mm because they're usually faster (f1.8 vs 2 or 2.8).

I started thinking about this when I found myself looking at the Voigtlander Bessa R3M while thinking how nice it would be to have access to all those Leica, CV, and FSU lenses. My next thought was that I'd probably end up with whatever lens I bought at the same time as the body and maybe one other, if that. It was brought up again when I read Mike Johnston's article in this month's B&W Photography.

Do any of you find yourself only using or owning a single lens for your interchangeable lens cameras?

Chris

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    when i had my f5 i used my 85 1.8 most of the time.i liked the speed and 85 mm was how i saw images.i had a 24-120 lens but i didnt care for it much.it had its uses though.i also had a 180 2.8.this was by far my favorite lens it just didnt get as much use as 85.it was a little big for walking around.i always found myself with a very heavy camera bag around my shoulders but only seemed to open it up when i needed another roll of film.in hindsight i guess i never needed to bring the bag all the time.lol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes for 20 years I've only owned one lens an f2 50mm Summicron for my Leica M3 and so that's what I use, and I've shot a lot of images with the combination.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes.
    Minolta X-700 28-200 mm
    Minolta 7000 28-200 mm
    Leica IIIa 50 mm Summar
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For one of my Leica M6 bodies, only the 35mm f/1.4 has been on the camera. It never comes off. The other lenses switch on and off the second body.

For one of my Minolta CLE bodies, only the 40mm f/2.0 has been on the camera. It never comes off. The other two lenses switch on and off the second body.

With my Nikon F100 bodies, all my lenses switch on and off. I do find that I tend to have the 17-35mm on one body mostly, while the second body gets the 70-200mm. But I'm not wedded to that combo.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My 35mm camera is a Leica M6 for which I have 4 or 5 lenses by various makers. I have gotten to the point where I usually just use the 35mm f/1.4 all the time as it fits the way I see perfectly. However if I am traveling and this is the only camera I'm bringing I will add a 75mm lens just in case I need something longer.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I only use a 50mm on my FM2n. I am going to buy a 28mm at some point in the near future because I often find myself needing more in the frame than I can get with the 50mm. There are so many situations where I just have no room to back up and end up having to compromise by cutting something out of the photo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife decided that my 17mm Tamron was the only lens to use on her Pentax KX, and for days insisted on using nothing else. Luckily she realised the error of her ways now she uses my Pentax 28mm instead

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am in the middle of a "getting back to basics" film based shooting mode. I've been using a 35mm body and a 50mm lens. Sometimes limiting your equipment makes your photography stronger, because you have to work a little harder at it . Plus, the camera bag is a joy to carry - body w/lens, light meter and film!

steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See the 'spouse' thread.

My wife used to carry my spare lenses for me when we went hiking.

PE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin