Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,053   Online: 785

Shooter
    35mm

Swapping an F3 against an F80

Hi,

I have got an F3 plus 2 MF lenses, plus an EM with a 50mm lens.

I was thinking to swap it against an F80. Problem is I don't see very well without glasses, and focus is always a pain for me.

Plus whatever "G" lens I buy, the F3 will not take.

Should I or should I not? I understand I am giving up a lot of ruggedness versus autofocus.

What to do?

Shooter
    35mm
    I you want to do so swap it with me. I know someone who wants to sell an N80 for $100 with the kit lens and I can swap it with you for the F3.

Shooter
    35mm
    From Brussels?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that will be what I call forgiving trade.
    Keep the F3 and get a N80 (F80 in europe) for peanuts off ebay. The bodies runs below $200 in mint condition, and I 've seen some as low as $50.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    35mm
    brussels is a bit far from chicago but I would recommend you not to trade for the N80 unless you get some extra cash back.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's far from an even trade. You're better off just buying the F80 and a lens or two.

Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    You would be better off trading your F3 for an F100! The F80 (or N80 as it is known here in the U.S.A) is a good camera but not as rugged as the F3. As others have mentioned you can get an N80 for a reasonable price; much less than the price of a used F3.

I have an N80 (as well as an F100, F3HP, F2, F, etc.) and I think it is a very good camera in terms of accuracy, weight, ergonomics, and size. I am not too thrilled with the somewhat loud autofocus though. Also, the batteries are expensive compared to the 1.5 button-type batteries of the F3 or the AA size batteries of the F100. I have the optional battery grip for my N80 which lets the camera operate with AA size batteries, but the camera is bulkier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    STOP! Big problem with F80 - it will not meter with AI / AIS manual lenses - it has no coupling. (you need to stop down in manual exposure)

Go for an F100, or the older F70.

I recently wanted to buy an inexpensive AF Nikon for my wife to use (not really into photography) but I wanted to be able to use my MF lenses on it - the F70 seemed to be the best value all rounder, capable of this.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin