Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,378   Online: 1176

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    We are risking you saying "We'll I knew that already" but at the risk of just such a retort, I'd say that relatively few buyers will want pics bigger than say 12x16 or at least not enough of them willing to pay the price for such prints. It sounds as if your aim is to cover the cost to benefit ratio of moving into MF and making pics is a business venture not a hobby which may on occasions produce an income. Bear in mind that few seem to make it as full time landscape photogs selling a range of their own pics.

Some can do rather well as commission photogs ( usually weddings, portraiture or local newspaper contractors but the last one involves the dreaded d*****l) but I get the impression that this isn't your scene. Others get commissions from English Heritage or the National Trust like Joe Cornish and supplement income by running "photographic holidays". Maybe I belong the "glass half empty" group but I think that if the move to MF and the expense of so doing has to make a return on the investment I'd be in the pessimists group.

If you feel you owe it to yourself to move up to MF because that realises your potential as a photog and you'll be unfulfilled unless you do then do it but if it's simply a "must have" return on cash investment which you can otherwise ill afford to spend without the guarantee of a return I'd be very wary about the committment.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Richard, I'd almost agree but if you can't print to that standard ( 'cause that's an art in itself, ) there would be no point. Given the right instructions, a lab technician can produce very good results, may be he/she could even improve on what you had in mind! True it is more expensive, or is it if you get it wrong a couple of times, and how often do we need a 20/16 anyway? As long as it's on the neg. in the first place it can be reproduced as required. As far as 35mm goes I would rather produce top quality 10/8's than inferior larger sizes.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just had two 30x40 prints made from 35mm negs from a portrait session I did four years ago (before I was shooting MF). The grain is pronounced but pretty, and the prints look stunning from a few feet away. There's a lab quite close to me that does a lot of very large fiber printing, and the price was very reasonable.

- CJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lol999 View Post
    On a side note I don't develop or print my own film, can anyone reccommend a decent lab in the UK for one off prints if I take something nice?
    Getting good B&W prints from a lab. needs you to give clear instructions, and them to be able to follow them. I've been pretty happy with The Darkroom in Cheltenham for this sort of thing. They aren't cheap.

Alternatively (heresy alert!) you could think about scanning and inkjet printing. It isn't easy to master, but no more or less so than doing it in the darkroom, just different - and some people have more natural aptitude for one approach and some for the other. Some of the newer fine art inkjet papers produce really good results.

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Where to start? Okay, I'm going to try Peak Imaging, they're actually about 8 miles from me so I can drop the things in if I want. I do not require a financial return on my investment in gear, which is a good job since it's unlikely to happen, it's a personal perfectionist sort of thing. If I had the time and money i would probably invest in 10x8 gear and pay someone to teach me how to use it, but that's not going to happen. I have sold a couple of prints, one of which was enlarged to A2 which I thought was horrible but the customer loves so that's all that matters!
    As a heretic I do already scan and inkjet print and have, from XP2,produced some not bad 9"x6" prints on decent paper. My thoughts would be to scan and manipulate then print how I envision the picture should look, then send that with the neg to a lab for them to do a "proper" job on. One area I guess I could look at would be ato at least do my own processing thus giving me more control over the outcome. That's probably one for the new year.

Cheers, Lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I generally don't make anything larger than 11"x14" in B&W but I have made some x15 B&W and colour enlargements that I am very happy with. Grain wasn't a problem but you will still see it at those magnifications. It's really a matter of personal taste.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm
    With today's film, glass and proper technique, yes, you can make some large prints from 35mm. And the 35mm films of today, blow away the films of only ten years ago. I've got some 11x17 prints that look very good. For ultimate quality, you'll want a high quality scan from a well exposed, focused negative or slide. I have a few of my snaps drum scanned and printed up rather large, and they are sometimes mistaken for medium format prints.

Kiron Kid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ghostwind.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think it's been directly mentioned but what are you photographing? Gritty factories might look better in 35mm. Fields of spring flowers might not.

The other thing with the price of used MF gear you could get a small kit together for the price of a couple of lab prints. Darkroom gear can be even cheaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham View Post
    With the camera on a tripod...
    That was going to be my line. It is a bit surprising (to me, at least) that it took 20 posts before anyone mentioned 'tripod' and it hasn't been mentioned again. If the neg isn't as crisp as humanly possible, then it doesn't really matter what lab is used, etc, etc. I've managed to make 4x5 negs that wouldn't even contact print in a quality manner so I'm not too much of a believer in one format being better than another, or one camera/lens being better than another, or one lab being better than another... unless all possible attempts at producing a decent neg have been exercized first.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    I don't think it's been directly mentioned but what are you photographing? Gritty factories might look better in 35mm. Fields of spring flowers might not.
    It definitely WON'T be flowers, I like my photography b&w and definitely on the gritty side!

Tripod? Oh yes, that's a given.
    As an aside, I'm enjoying the work of George Tice at the moment, seen him before in B&W mag but it's the sort of thing I'd like to have a go at if I scale my street stuff down.

Cheers, Lol

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin