Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,651   Posts: 1,481,311   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

New or used lens.Opinions please.

I've set asside a little $ to purchase a Nikon 50mm 1.8D AF lens. My local shop has a new one for $180.00 (tax inc.) which would give me a warrenty plus over the counter exchange if the glass proved defective.
    KEH is selling the 50 1.8 for $115.00.But I'd have to pay for shipping and some sort of import tax.
    Opinions please.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The taxes and shipping can really add up, not to mention the wait time, only you can tell but with the actual differences in cost new can be nice.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ?? For that price the KEH should be new to. IIRC The B&H price for grey market was about $95 new.

Shooter
    35mm
    Support your local retailer. Besides, if something happens to the lens, Nikon Canada will not touch it. Even if you offer to pay, Nikon will not repair anything bought outside Canada.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Considering he can buy two grey market for what his local retailer wants the retailer isn't just being supported.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&H is showing them new with US warranty for 114 USD, and 104 for grey market, and 27.50 for shipping via international priority mail. That puts it sort of close to your local retailer's price, not counting the exchange rates which are in your favor, IDK about the tax part.

As for as service goes, is the risk something will go wrong with it worth the $40 to you? The likelyhood of it breaking is not high, though the AF probably complicates that some.

If I were making the decision, I'd probably go with the cheaper source, or ask the shop if they can come down on the price any. The worst they can say is "no". Here, even the small shops can get the same pricing as the big guys. My local shop sells for the same prices on new stuff as the Best Buys, B&H, etc.

OTH, I absolutly agree with the notion of supporting your local shop, a lot depends on your relationship with them otherwise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Warranty is certainly a huge consideration. If I had it I would prob go with the new in country. However most times when aquiring gear, finances are a personal hinderance and I go lower.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A bit of patience should allow you to pick one up for less than $100. Very likely from this very sites classified section.
    Let's see, over counter exchange for "defective glass". No money spent there for mr. retailer. Warranty? could be worth it, how long is it now?
    My experience in the past allows me to take the gamble & buy used, I haven't bought a new lens or body for at least 25 years. I do on occasion pick up a new accessory 'cus some things are just too durned hard to find used.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're right John.Considering I will be using it on a Nikon N90s and that camera is in storage until spring.

Shooter
    35mm
    Consider this as well: there are many plastic parts in the 50mm 1.8 AF-D. These plastic parts are not as durable as the metal parts on a metal, manual focus Nikkor. I have had several 50mm 1.8 in AF-D and manual focus AIS as well. The onlly "non E Series" lens that had broken on me has been the 50mm 1.8 AF model, approximately 3 years after I purchased it new.

When buying used you are always taking a risk, especially with AF optics. Yes, I have purchased several used AF optics that I still use and are in great condition, but the addition of more moving parts and more plastic in the design don't make them as reliable as the old manual focus lenses (for those of you who are thinking of torching me for this comment, remember, plastic melts and expands much quicker than metal-think back seat of a car in the middle of summer).

The price difference you mentioned between the new and used lenses are really not that much. If you wait a few months and save a bit more you might be better off purchasing it new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin