Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,541   Online: 879

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    If you want a F6, just buy one. I would if I had some extra money. It may well be the best 35mm slr.

By the way, do you already have a film scanner?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanasis View Post
    You can get an almost mint F5 for much less than an F6. The F5 works with MF (with some metering limitations) and AF lenses as well. It built like a brick ****-house as well. I bought an F5 about a year ago and i havent looked back.
    I agree. The F5 is a workhorse. I would only recommend the F6 if you really need that much improved AF. Other than that, the F5 is the way to go..

Shooter
    35mm
    I just bought a F6 with the motor drive for $1,400 used. The camera is in EX condition and only had 28 rolls run through it. You can find some excellent deals on them. I would suggest trying www.nikonians.org as a place to start, that's where I purchased mine. It really is the Ultimate Film camera, there will be no others to match it, ever. I would urge you to get one if you can, you will love it.

That being said.....

I have the F5 as well and you can pick one up for about a 1/3 the price and it is very comparable to the F6. The F6 has some features including the CLS compatablilty that make it really nice to work with. Other than that it's kind of like an F5 with the data back added but smaller without the motor drive/battery booster. When you add that to it, the camera is very similar in weight and size to the F5.

My current collection is: FM2n, FE2, FA, F5 & F6.
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Buy F6. If you don't you will regret for the rest of your life. You can get a new one for 1800 or refurb for 1300-1400. Certainly, you will spend extra 700-1000 comparing with what you may pay for f100, f5, but at least you will never look back and question yourself why have not bought F6.
    F6 (like f100, F5) will never be obsolete and it is very unlikely that it will be superseded by any other 35mm film camera.
    I got one and never regretted.
    I believe that if one is serious about landscape the LF or MF/Mf-digital back is the way to go. But for occasional pictures of fast moving objects (like children), family snapshots, sport and travel F6 is hard to beat. It is relatively compact, runs on batteries (no chargers), dust/water resistant. Metering is perfect with any film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    To support the continued manufacture of film based cameras, we should, whenever possible purchase a brand new factory fresh camera, as otherwise there won't be any new cameras to buy. The manufacturer will look at current sales to determine the way forward.

Shooter
    35mm
    One thing to consider is that a film body will hold it's value better digital body, and won't be obsolete in two years.

Also the F5 allows for he sport finder and the vertical magnification finder. Both are first rate in my opinion.

Same for the F3HP although the meter head of the F5 is better than the f3.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    To support the continued manufacture of film based cameras, we should, whenever possible purchase a brand new factory fresh camera, as otherwise there won't be any new cameras to buy. The manufacturer will look at current sales to determine the way forward.
    Great point!!! Never even thought about it that way..

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Petri View Post
    If you want a F6, just buy one. I would if I had some extra money. It may well be the best 35mm slr.

By the way, do you already have a film scanner?
    No, I don't have a film scanner.. (or a printer anymore) I went down that route, but once again, one of the joys of film is getting labs to do things like scanning for you. Realistically, how many stunning shots do you do a year that need a top-line scan done? (they're the ones you frame and put on the wall).

Basically, if I have a roll of E6 (120 or 35mm), it costs me ~$10 for processing at Churchills. I then have another lab (Cambridge Photographic) which I take the E6 too who will print the entire roll for me at 5x7 including setting their Fuji Frontier to Hirez mode and scan them for me for $25. If there is a stunning shot there.. then I take it back to Churchill, where they charge ~$20 for a custom 11x14 print, where they scan it on a Imacon, touch-up, colour correct and give me a copy of the TIF on a CD for free with the print.

Now that workflow takes even less time than using Aperture on my Mac So yes, I have GAS attacks.. but I've now limited it to one side of the equation.

Daniel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbelyaev View Post
    Buy F6. If you don't you will regret for the rest of your life. You can get a new one for 1800 or refurb for 1300-1400. Certainly, you will spend extra 700-1000 comparing with what you may pay for f100, f5, but at least you will never look back and question yourself why have not bought F6.
    F6 (like f100, F5) will never be obsolete and it is very unlikely that it will be superseded by any other 35mm film camera.
    I got one and never regretted.
    I believe that if one is serious about landscape the LF or MF/Mf-digital back is the way to go. But for occasional pictures of fast moving objects (like children), family snapshots, sport and travel F6 is hard to beat. It is relatively compact, runs on batteries (no chargers), dust/water resistant. Metering is perfect with any film.
    I think you have summarized my intended use pretty well. I have a 4x5 view camera for Landscapes and formal portraits.

* The F5 is too big (I don't want a grip, and 5.5 fps is plenty). Also the F6's AF is supposed to be quite a bit better no?
    * The F100 is nice, but doesn't work with any of my MF glass.. maybe not a big deal.

The only thing against the F6 seems to be price.

Daniel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin