Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,950   Online: 936

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Too late to buy a Nikon F6?

I currently have a FM3a and an assorted of MF glass. However, sometimes its good to have a AF. Also, given that Nikon have now released FF digital, I'm having second thoughts about buying exotic glass in MF (i.e. 85 f1.4, 200 f/2).

So I was thinking, why not buy the F6 and only buy the exotic glass with a view to it having a good digital future. Also, whilst I love the FM3a, sometimes I miss the frame and shoot ease of AF. Kids don't stay still!

The question is.. am I being a luddite buy spending $1600 on a new F6 instead of a D3. This is not for landscapes, basically people portraits and also photo's of the kids running around etc. I have a SB600 flash left over from my Nikon DX digital days.

I thought I'd be able to avoid this question by buying a piece of nice glass for my wifes Pentax K100D (50-135 f/2.8). However, I'm finding out all the limitations of the pentax compared to Nikon. The fill flash is terrible, focussing slow, and the metering gets confused all the time. I remember my old F65 and D70 being way better than this. I think I might ebay the lens and instead use the money to subsidise some Nikon AF glass.

My favorite colour film is Fuji Reala, though I do love my slide projector so would like to find a nice high res colour film. Velvia is too crazy for portraits, the old provia was a bit hohum.. Maybe Kodak 100VS? K64 is not bad, but not quite colourful enough!

Daniel.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you are shooting film and think that you will continue to shoot film for the foreseeable future, you can get the F6 and give the full frame Nikon digi**l camera prices time to come down to reasonable levels. But, if you are suffering from GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) and can afford both cameras, the choice is up to you.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, for the price of the D3 I can buy a F6, 200 f/2 VR Refurb with money left in the bank ready for the rumored iminent release of the 85mm f/1.4 AF-S.

Considering 11x14 is my favored size, I'm thinking glass will make a bigger difference. Realistically, I shoot 1-2 rolls a week. Processing costs don't even come into the equation.

Daniel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)

It's infectious. Isn't it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For a fraction of the price of an F6, I'd buy a lightly used F100. The F100 is 95% of what you get in an F6 and you can find them in beautiful condition in the $200-$300 range. For a couple bucks more, you can get the vertical grip as well. The F100 is a beautiful and highly functional camera--and a joy to use. Not to say you wouldn't enjoy an F6, but I think the F100 is the ultimate Nikon bargain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or even an F80s (which I just bought.) They're cheap here in Japan so I'm guessing they're even cheaper in other countries.
    It doesn't have the environmental seals that the F100 has and doesn't work with very old glass, but it's still a doozy of a camera. Great AF and should work just swell with the SB-800. I think the D70 was based on the F80/100 (not sure though; I got rid of mine within 3 months.)
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with Barry S, except I'd say that for a fraction of the price of an F6, I'd buy a lightly-used F5. The F5 is 98.5% of what you get in an F6 (and more in some areas, like removable viewfinders) and you can find them in beautiful condition in the $400-500 range. No vertical grip is required.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah - definitely go for the F5 - infact, whilst I've only handled the F6, it felt a LOT less robust than the F5.

In my eyes the F5 was a real Pro workhorse, whereas the F6 is aimed more at the keen enthusiast market. However there seem to be loads of well cared for F5's around which were also sold to that market!

As for the F80 - I thought that doesn't meter with MF lenses (apart from stop down metering) due to lack of aperture ring coupling. This is why I bought my wife a F70 recently as it has that coupling, just incase I wanted to use my AI/S lenses on it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can get an almost mint F5 for much less than an F6. The F5 works with MF (with some metering limitations) and AF lenses as well. It built like a brick ****-house as well. I bought an F5 about a year ago and i havent looked back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    For a fraction of the price of an F6, I'd buy a lightly used F100. The F100 is 95% of what you get in an F6 and you can find them in beautiful condition in the $200-$300 range. For a couple bucks more, you can get the vertical grip as well. The F100 is a beautiful and highly functional camera--and a joy to use. Not to say you wouldn't enjoy an F6, but I think the F100 is the ultimate Nikon bargain.
    I have a Nikon N-75 with an f/2.8 20mm to 35mm [metal] Nikon zoom and an f/3.8 28mm to 300mm Tamron zoom lenses and a SB-800 strobe. I went through the same thought process buying a Hasselblad [an 'asselblad?] 503 CX and four lenses, an Omega D5XL enlarger and an Omega/Arkay Professional 150 print dryer along the way this year. Then two days ago I picked up an F-100 from KEH via their eBay room for $235 in Excellent condition.

:o My name is Steve and I have G.A.S. :o

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin