Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,174   Online: 705

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    I own a F2 the DP1 meter head and its a great solid camera, however I recently got a Nikon F3hp as a Christmas Present. Guess what I am going to recomend: the F3HP, echoing the other posters, it is perfection and built like a brick s++t house.
    I'd echo this, as I've got the same stuff. The advantage with the F3HP, as well, may be very reasonable used prices. If you would accept the regular F3 without the HP finder the costs would even be less.

The camera is battery dependent but I've had the same battery for about two years.

Shooter
    35mm

Another vote for the FM2n

I would highly recommend the FM2n as well. Built like a tank, lots of spare parts for repairs and doesn't need a battery to work.

For the record, I have the FM2n, FE2, FA, F5 & F6. (along with lots of bits & bobs.....) :rolleyes:
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul,
    I'd agree, I've bought a F3/MD4 (non hp) combo recently for well under $100. it's the third one I have. In a past life, I shot a lot of PJ work, and had 4 F2/MD2 combos, when Nikon announced that the parts would no longer be available, I replaced them with F3HP and MD4's. The quirks that you just got used to with the F2's were gone, and of the 4 that I bought many years ago, two are still with me, still as reliable as ever. Of all the Nikon 35mm cameras I own (F, 3 F3's, F4, 2 FM's, FM2N) One of the the F3 are the first ones I reach for.

erie

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    Why not the original FM? I have two of it and they work fine. They don't seem to wear as much as other older cameras in the same age range do...

I agree. I still have and use my original black FM that I purchased in the mid 70's. They're a great camera.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F3 is indeed a great camera. However, there are two quirks that I don't like:
    a) the shutter has no clear release point. Well, of course it always releases at the same point, however you can't feel that you're there. FM's are better here.
    b) viewfinder LCD illumination is practically non-existent.

For me, its strong points are: excellent eye relief, very easy to focus all the way into the corners (try this with an FM series).

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You know, any of these cameras would work great for your intended purpose; Nikon made great film cameras. They had different intended uses, but none were really failures, in my opinion. I used my FM2 professionally for years (no battery, no problem), until I poked my finger through the shutter and never bothered to get it replaced. I sold my FE, but I miss it to this day- the solid sound of the shutter. My four FE2's and 8008 all have the most accurate shutters I have ever tested, and I've tested a lot of shutters; I bet that the newer AF's are close to perfection.

All in all, I would suggest going to KEH and buying an EX grade body for the lowest price you can find.

And I wish everyone a great New Year!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    The F3 is indeed a great camera. However, there are two quirks that I don't like:
    a) the shutter has no clear release point. Well, of course it always releases at the same point, however you can't feel that you're there. FM's are better here.
    b) viewfinder LCD illumination is practically non-existent.

For me, its strong points are: excellent eye relief, very easy to focus all the way into the corners (try this with an FM series).
    Agreed, you have to get used to each camera (or have them adjusted so they are reasonably close)

The eye relief is even better with the DA2, and it usually stays on one body all the time.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you decide on an F3, try to get the High Eyepoint model. Many of the early model F3 non-HP cameras had lots of problems with the electronics. I owned one with motordrive, it was wretched and Nikon was unable to make it reliable despite many returns. The same for the FM and FE--try to get later models. Early FM and FE models, especially those combined with the early motor drives, had a lot of problems that were solved in later production.

Shooter
    35mm
    Get an F2A. Go with the Nikon pro F line whenever possible. You won't regret it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    If you decide on an F3, try to get the High Eyepoint model. Many of the early model F3 non-HP cameras had lots of problems with the electronics. I owned one with motordrive, it was wretched and Nikon was unable to make it reliable despite many returns. The same for the FM and FE--try to get later models. Early FM and FE models, especially those combined with the early motor drives, had a lot of problems that were solved in later production.

Very interesting point! This has been my buying philosophy for several years now: get the latest serial number you can if you plan to use the camera frequently. It seems that Nikon has always worked out its production bugs toward the end of the production cycle of a particular model. The same seems to hold true even with its non film cameras. The last ones made are usually more reliable.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin