Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,983   Online: 1172

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F2, FE2 or FM2?

Hi, My Nikon FE has just died today, I want to use my original lensbaby on a similar camera and I see from the lensbaby site that I can use either an F2, FE2 or FM2 / I use the camera to mainly take candids of my kids, I'm not worried about advanced metering or complicated widgets just a solid camera I can sling in my rucksack! any advise gratefully recieved. Cheers Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The lensbaby in a Nikon F-mount should work on any Nikon camera you buy. I have the 2.0 version and I use it on my N90s, FM2N and my D200.

As far as which camera you should buy to replace your dead FE, I would get a FM2 or FM2N (the N being the last of the all manual Nikon FM line) if you can. They are built like a tank, and should handle your rucksack just fine.

steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think they are all probably good---I have used the FE2 and FM2 and own the FE2 tuff camera. Look at all the features and find the one that works for you. You might want to look at the FM3a but they are going for more than a F5 go figure!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would get an F3HP. Built like a tank, and dirt cheap these days.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steer clear of the F2. These days they have taken on "collectible" status and prices for a good example show it. If that's not bad enough, the earlier meter prisms have a bad reputation for going bad with age. They can be repaired, but it might not be cost effective for you. The FM2, or FM2N, are both solid, all mechanical little cameras. I have an FM2n that looks like it has been through the wars, but continues to operate flawlessly if you discount the broken (my fault for being a ham-fisted numnut) PC connector on the front. The FE2 and F3 are also very good, though electronically controlled and battery dependent, machines. The F3 will operate at a single shutter speed of around 1/80 sec without power. Don't know about the FE2.

The Lensbaby will fit on any Nikon SLR ever made with the "F" lens mount. In camera metering is possible with the FM2 or FM2n, and should be with all pre-autofocus models and many post-autofocus and digital models.

I would get an F2 with a DE-1 (non-metered) finder, send it to Sover Wong o be overhauled and it will be good for another 50 years. This asumes
    yo are ok with a spot meter.

Putting ha aside, the FM3a is to expensive and hhe FM2 is a great camera. Either way you can't return.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I know:

FM2n: best compact mechanical camera ever made by Nikon, and has been in production over a period of nearly 20y, so availability is excellent. Cheap as dirt. ($150 and above, depending on condition)

FE2: mechanical speed of 1/250s (X-sync), all other speeds are electronically controlled. Can do TTL flash, so you can pop in a new fancy SB-800 on it and they will talk to each other like old buddies. Cheap as dirt, sometimes cheaper than FM2n.

FM3a: combines the best of FM2n (all mechanical speeds) with the best of the FE2 (TTL flash, Auto shutter). It was produced for only a few years in the early 2000, so you stand a good chance to find a mint model that will last forever. Expensive: $600 and more!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd recommend the FM2n. Mine has been dragged across half a dozen time zones, both hemispheres and been through Australian summer and Alaskan winter without flinching. It's like a dear friend that you routinely abuse.
    Built to last and works well for what you've described.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    I would get an F2 with a DE-1 (non-metered) finder, send it to Sover Wong o be overhauled and it will be good for another 50 years. This asumes
    yo are ok with a spot meter.

Putting ha aside, the FM3a is to expensive and hhe FM2 is a great camera. Either way you can't return.
    The unfortunate part is that a DE-1 (or the F eyelevel prism, for that matter) have taken on cult status, and regularly sell for insane amounts of money.

I'd second the FM2 or FM2N reccomendation, however.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Steer clear of the F2. These days they have taken on "collectible" status and prices for a good example show it. If that's not bad enough, the earlier meter prisms have a bad reputation for going bad with age.

This is unfortunately very true. Take heed.

But, if you get a good one, it's a marvelous tool.

The earlier meter prisms with the problems follow the DP-1 prisms. Less issues are with the DP-11 and DP-12 prisms.

I have two F2s with DP-1 finders. One has an erratic meter, the other is perfect. The erratic meter I can live with because I've had it so long.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin