Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,810   Online: 852

Shooter
    35mm

Odd size schneider

A Polish gent has a Schneider 125/2.3 m42 screw-mount listed.

Is this an exceptional lens, or just a good average lens in an odd size.

His bid starts at $200 and if bid on that would most likely win, but I am just wondering.
    His ebay store has a number of, if not rare, uncommon lens, but all start at prices one would expect in a brick and mortar store.

Bobby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting one?

It isn't mentioned in the easily-found Schneider literature (www.schneiderkreuznach.com, www.schneideroptics.com). It brings to mind the 125/2.5 Schneider Goettingen Xenon, sold in barrel for use in aerial cameras. But your find is SK, not SG, and is f/2.3 not f/2.5.

So I have no idea what it is. The screwmount looks like an adaptation. Here's one hint: http://leica-users.org/v18/msg06266.html

And here's another hint: learn to use Google

Whatever it is, if collectors notice it you won't be able to afford it and if you get it you won't use it to good advantage. It has manual diaphragm. Has to be a lens made for something else adapted to M42.

If you must have a fast 120ish lens, get a 120 Biometar in Pentacon 6 mount and and adapter to M42.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    This http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting one?

It isn't mentioned in the easily-found Schneider literature (www.schneiderkreuznach.com, www.schneideroptics.com). It brings to mind the 125/2.5 Schneider Goettingen Xenon, sold in barrel for use in aerial cameras. But your find is SK, not SG, and is f/2.3 not f/2.5.

So I have no idea what it is. The screwmount looks like an adaptation. Here's one hint: http://leica-users.org/v18/msg06266.html

And here's another hint: learn to use Google

Whatever it is, if collectors notice it you won't be able to afford it and if you get it you won't use it to good advantage. It has manual diaphragm. Has to be a lens made for something else adapted to M42.

If you must have a fast 120ish lens, get a 120 Biometar in Pentacon 6 mount and and adapter to M42.
    Thank you for your info.
    Believe me I know how to use google but one cannot google a quasi-live answer such as yours, plus I have spent hours trying to fine info such as yours and when one finds something on page 17 of 43 pages, it takes hours and hours of opening dead-ends till one MIGHT find good info.

That is why I am fond of this place, if one has an answer it will likely come forward.
    Bobby

When I contacted Schneider/Century about another item earlier, they said they do not even list every thing they have for sale, so, and I gathered this from earlier searches of their web site, historical info is of near zero importance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bobby, the search string was 2.3/125 and Schneider, the link I gave you was the sixth hit. Stop whining.

Shooter
    35mm
    Bobby, the search string was 2.3/125 and Schneider, the link I gave you was the sixth hit. Stop whining.
    What ever floats your boat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dan if it will make you any less grumpy, it appears to have gone to a gent who collects odd lenses. $261
    If I had, had the extra cash, I would have bought it to use, but I am pretty much spent out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bobby, thanks for the tip. The Schneider went to the far east, as expected, but for less than I'd expected. You should see the prices people in that part of the world pay for, e.g., Dallmeyer Super Sixes and 4"/2 TTH lenses. That Schneider may not have a Super Six's cachet, but I bet it shoots better.

It isn't clear what motivates frankyip314 . I'm a little surprised that he bought those 3"/4.5 Goerz cells. They're from Biogon made under contract for the USAF; cell spacing is critical and without the barrel or access to one its hard to know how far apart they have to be.

Old lenses can be (or is it could have been?) good buys for people who shoot formats larger than 35 mm. There aren't that many old lenses for 35 mm cameras that are worth getting very excited about as there have been real advances in design and manufacture since the late 1950s. But for those who can know them for what they are and can use them, aged lenses can be a good deal. The tricks are in recognizing them and then not overpaying. Recognition aids are getting easier to find, and that's somewhat killed much of the market for such as me.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin