Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,844   Posts: 1,582,672   Online: 1082

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do most types of photography, I do street, portraits, general night photography, architecture, documentary, some other stuff occasionally, and I also do some video.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Yes

And don't forget to get a cable-release to go along with that tripod.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I do most types of photography, I do street, portraits, general night photography, architecture, documentary, some other stuff occasionally, and I also do some video.
    In that case, a tripod is the most useful thing you could possibly buy.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I go backpacking with 5x7 or 8x10 I do not take a tripod. It's heavy and clumsy. Use stones, stumps, whatever.
    I also don't use a tripod with my favourite Ihagee 6x9cm from 1920s, which has only 1/25, 1/50 1nd 1/100 shutter speeds. My tripods are primarily for family snapshots. If you really feel your camera well you'll be able to hold it at pretty low shutter speeds. And if you are shooting for selfexpression purposes you do not really care much about sharpness. For most types of professional photography tripod is essential, but if you'd shoot professionally, you'd not have asked your question.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    marko

i have one of these tiltall tripods
    it might seem like overkill, but one of
    the legs unscrews and the little nubby screw under
    the center column screws onto it, and the leg becomes a
    monopod. i have used this thing since 1988, with 35mm, 6x6 and 4x5
    so it is somethng you can grow with.
    the cost is the same as i paid for mine, jeez 20 years ago ...

i also have a slik tripod just like the one pictured on the front page ...
    i like it for traveling, cause it is compact and fits
    in a suitcase/carry on ... its good and all, but
    i always worry i will miss the quick release "bolt" and it costs
    a fist full of dollars to replace it ...
    .. not to mention it doesn't extend as high up as the tiltall ...

tripods can be worth it ... but sometimes leaning against a tree or a telephone pole
    or building, and doing the "depress the shutter while exhaling" method works well too

good luck!

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    For just about everything BUT street photography, you need a tripod some if not all of the time. You can even do street photography with a tripod (I did some street work in Argentina with my 5x7, but that's another story altogether). Plus, it is the universal accessory - it will work with virtually any camera you'll ever own, from digital point-n-shoot to large format to video/cine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

an in between solution - string 'tripod'

Try a string tripod - there are lots of DIY guides for them - see google.

I have one in every camera bag I use. It makes many marginal shots in avialable light ones that actually work out.

It is definitely not as useful as a proper tripod, but still a very portable and compact pocketable stabilization device.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A monopod might be a good compromise for steadying your shots. In fact, I purchased a Manfrotto 682 monopod with a retractable mini tripod. It's self standing but I purchased it because it's easier to steady, easier to carry and easier to deploy.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2371?livid=107|117&lsf=117&child=2
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking of getting this tripod: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Green_.html and getting the head later. Can I still mount my camera on it?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This tripod states it has a 3/8" thread mount. most cameras have a 1/4'x20 course thread mount and tripods that house this thread would mention it. So find another one that states specifically 1/4" mounting thread. Some tripods have both, a 3/8' threaded sleeve that slides down into the housing base when 1/4' is needed.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin