Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,811   Online: 1090

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Markok, get a tripod. Don't get a tripod. Doesn't really matter. You are taking good pictures now. Keep taking them. Get one when you want to. Don't worry about it now if you don't want one. Buy more film instead. And have fun. Rock on, dude.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Having read most of this, I would like a recommendation on what are the best choices for a tripod and head that can hold a five or more pound lens and a three-four pound camera whilst being cranked at least twelve inches above the base without the tripod deciding I want to take a picture of the sky.

My mother got me a poor little Velbon tripod that I put through hell twenty years ago before it said I'm done, and this time I do not to torture some poor tripod by making it do what it was not designed to do.

I am a touch over six-feet tall.
    Bobby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bobby, you need to think about what type of head, that can make a big difference to the cost of a tripod.

Two of my decent tripods have a single handle head adjustment which I find very easy to use, this controls tilt and swivel, needs care with the 10"x8" camera but is perfect with 5x4 and video.

My Mannfroto (O74) has 3 handles to adjust the head and is far more substantial, it's not as quick to use but is undoubtedly better with the 10x8. I test all my tripods by making sure they can support my weight I would definitely recommend this tripod.

Good tripods are expensive, it's worth trying to find a good one second hand.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 01-16-2008 at 01:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My Mannfroto (O74) has 3 handles to adjust the head and is far more substantial,
    I have a similar Tripod, it's a little heavy but really solid. I use it with both my 35mm kit and my Mamiya 645. I find the big advantage to using a tripod is that it can make you slow down and take more care in framing etc. I keep meaning to buy a small spirit level that will clip into the hot shoe on my camera to help ensure level horizons, especially for seascapes.

It took me a while to invest in the tripod but I'm glad I did, I'd recommend buying the best you can afford as they can last a lifetime.

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Tripods,yes or no

Dont ever forget, the sharpest lens you have is your tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The worst photo you take is better then the best photo you don't.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin