Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,683   Online: 747

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

A new SLR or not?

I feel drawn to Nikon F5 and I try to convince myself that I'll use it as a second body, using F6 as first one.
    But I perfectly know there is no need of a second body because I use, when rarely it happens,a Canon F1 new .
    It' s rather a desire, and you know about what I'm talking about..., also considering good price now. I have to say however that they ask me about 700 euro, not a painless price.
    What do you think?
    Thinking over the question, perhaps it's much better if I finally decide to buy a film scanner or my first serious digital camera .
    I'll willingly read your remarks,
    apeiron

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Get a second F6, or a D3.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find having a second SLR to be quite useful (although I've gone to extremes and have many). If cost were a serious consideration I would probably have three cameras.

Why?

1. It's nice to have redundancy in case you have hardware failure.
    2. You can shoot different films (slide or print, colour or black & white, fast or slow...).
    3. Sometimes it's inconvenient or difficult to change lenses (fast-moving subjects, challenging weather). Having two cameras with different lenses and the same film can be convenient.
    4. Sometimes the second camera has different capabilities than the first one, and can complement the camera well. The F5 versus the F6 is not a great example of this (although the two cameras will make a good pair because of their similarity of operation), but, for example:
    a) an FM2n is a lot smaller than most AF cameras and will work better in very cold weather.
    b) An F70 or F80 has a built-in flash and is a lot smaller than an F5 or F6, which would make it a nice carrying-around camera for when weight and convenience are important.

Do you shoot enough for all this to make sense? I don't know. However, given the low prices of bodies, I think having another body makes a lot of sense.

If you can't justify the money that an F5 costs, getting an inexpensive F90x or F801s makes sense. They are well under a hundred dollars and will give you 85-90% of the capability of your F6.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can clearly see that you are about to have an attack of G. A. S.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Does it have to be brand new?
    Other wise ebay has several for sale and some are going for under four hundred dollars.
    Jack's Camera whom I have dealt with has several and he stands behind his sales.
    Bobby

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I fail to see what the point of your query is.

If you need a film back-up camera to your F6 then you've already identified the F5 as the likely one. Although, I'd suggest a F-100 instead.

If you would rather have a digital alternative - please ask this question on another site.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    When I was doing a lot of semi-professional work, I always carried a Nikon F2A and an FE. They both were loaded with 36-exposure rolls, and I would change film when I got a break.

So, yes, I would get a second body. These days, just shooting for myself, I rarely carry a spare body.

Images
    Where are the Antacids. I know I had some around her somewhere. That there is a bad case of GAS.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apeiron View Post
    I feel drawn to Nikon F5 and I try to convince myself that I'll use it as a second body, using F6 as first one.
    But I perfectly know there is no need of a second body because I use, when rarely it happens,a Canon F1 new .
    It' s rather a desire, and you know about what I'm talking about..., also considering good price now. I have to say however that they ask me about 700 euro, not a painless price.
    What do you think?
    Thinking over the question, perhaps it's much better if I finally decide to buy a film scanner or my first serious digital camera .
    I'll willingly read your remarks,
    apeiron
    I presume you are not using the cameras professionally, since you say yourself you don't actually need any more cameras. On the other hand, if you like a Nikon F6, I'm sure you would enjoy comparing and contrasting a Nikon F5, which is certainly nice to have, so if you can afford it, go for it! But yes, a film scanner would be more sensible (if you WANT to be sensible), since it would do something that your present gear can't!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, for a little bit more than 700 euros you can also get a nice used Hasselblad...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin