Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,240   Posts: 1,680,043   Online: 891

Thread: Two Pentax KXes

Shooter
    35mm

Two Pentax KXes

I have two, black, Pentax KX cameras. they both look like they have the same black paint, but one has the serial number painted black, and the other has a white serial number. The black S/N is 8337077, and the white S/N is 8473921. The one with the white s/n I got off of Evilbay, the one with the black s/n I got used from Adorama. The one with the black s/n doesn't "look" like a repaint job, but I suppose it could be. Does anybody know if this is an original paint job by Pentax?

See pics attached.

Cheers,
    Shutterbug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2133.jpg   100_2134.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The serial number was originally bright white on the black bodied Pentax K2, KX and KM.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Brad. It must be a repaint job then, a very good job at that, I might add.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just picked up my second K2 today! This new one is black and the serial number is white. My chrome finished K2 has a black serial number... The chrome camera has a higher number than the black(both start with 7). Not sure if that helps but the K2 and KX, as Brad stated, were made at the same time.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have no idea about serial numbers and colors, but I have two KXs (not black) with matched Takumar 55mm f/1.8's.
    I'm just happy to know I'm not the only Pentax affi ianato with two of them.
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

Shooter
    35mm
    I have no idea about serial numbers and colors, but I have two KXs (not black) with matched Takumar 55mm f/1.8's.
    I'm just happy to know I'm not the only Pentax affic ianato with two of them.
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I love the KXes, mainly because they're all mechanical, except for the light meter. I don't know, I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I like the old, all mechanical cameras. For one, I'm in total control of the exposure, forces me to become a better photog; two) I like knowing that if the battery dies, I can still take pictures. But, has this ever happened to me? No, and it probably never will, unless I go out in zero(F) or below temps; three) there are a ton of good, m42, and k-mount lenses available for these cameras. The KXes aren't the only all mechanical cameras I use. I also have a Leicaflex SL, an Olympus OM1n, a Pentax KM, and a Cosina Voigtlander Bessa T. I have one digicam, a point-and-shoot Kodak Easyshare DX6340. I've been toying with the idea of getting a real digital SLR, but about the time I make up my mind on one model, a new model comes out. The digital SLR field is changing so rapidly right now I think I'll wait a while. But, I am leaning toward Olympus. Still love the old classics though. I love the feel, the solid feeling, the craftsmanship, the heft, the brass bodies; it all adds up to a solid, reliable feeling that says, "You can rely on me."

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Two KXs here, as well.
    I've enthused about these enough before. For a once-in-a-lifetime event I'd take a KX because of its ruggedness, reliability and lack of dependence on electronics/batteries.
    To me the K series represented the peak of Pentax 35mm SLRs, although I have always liked the ES2, especially for the fact that (unlike its successor the K2) it's fully auto but still gives the option of 1/60 to 1/1000 as totally manual speeds should the electronics fail or batteries die.

Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin