Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,837   Online: 1091

Shooter
    35mm

OM-2 Battery Question

I put fresh batteries (Energizer 357) into my OM-2, everything worked fine, red light stayed red.. Shot a roll of film, turned camera off, then next day went to shoot another roll, and the mirror locked-up and the check light blinked..

I don't know if this is because I had my camera bag it was in on the floor and something to do with it being semi-cold? Or if off really isn't off?

For those of you with OM-2/3/4 how long does your batteries generally last?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used OM gear for quite some time and have OM2n, 2sp, 4 , 4ti, 20 (G) and 40 models.

As far as I am aware off really is off only with the OM2n (it has the "Off" option on the switch). I have replaced the batteries once in 2 years and about 30 rolls with my OM2 (it lives in my daily pack and gets pretty knocked about), and I did this not because they were flat, but I was going on a trip and thought that I would put new ones in just in case. For reference, the 2sp and 4 models cannot be switched off in any way and I find, using about a roll a week, that I replace batteries about every 6 months. The 4ti is much better on battery consumption and I replace these as a matter of course about each year.

When out of power, the 2sp, 4 and 4ti are able to still fire at 1/60th. This is handy and I was caught once a long way from home without spare batteries and managed to kept on shooting landscapes by applying the sunny f16 rule. There is no way that I know to keep shooting with a 2n without power - with the mirror locked you have to insert new batteries and move the lever to "Check - Reset" before you can resume shooting (unless there is another fix).

Your case does sound odd. The red check light only comes on with my 2n when I move the lever to "check-reset" and goes off again straight away. If your red light is staying on there could be a fault somewhere in the system, but I am not a tech so I can't help there, sorry.

Hope this helps and you have your 2 back on the road sooner rather than later. As an aside, athough the 2n doesn't have the bells and whistles of the other models, I think that it is the smoothest and nicest camera to use out of my OM collection, particularly the buttery film advance - but then each is very pleasurable in its own way. I have just come back from a trip away and I put a few rolls of Ilford Pan F+ though my 2n, with the only problems to exposure, composition, etc caused by me and not a camera malfunction (but life is a learning experience with no set assessment).

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a OM-2 (not N) the switch has Check, Auto, Off, and Manual. The light doesn't stay on, thats just when I checked it.

Maybe it just wasn't "off" completely, I'd put the fresh batteries I just purchased in it and see but I'll wait until I use it again, aha.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maddermaxx View Post
    It's a OM-2 (not N) the switch has Check, Auto, Off, and Manual. The light doesn't stay on, thats just when I checked it.

Maybe it just wasn't "off" completely, I'd put the fresh batteries I just purchased in it and see but I'll wait until I use it again, aha.
    There is a copy of the manual at the link below, and the first page has a section on resetting the camera after there has been a lock-up with low battery power. I have occasionally found my OM2 locking up even though the batteries were OK, but the reset has generally solved the problem and allowed me to carry on shooting.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nual/index.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you have to put the lever in "OFF" when not use the camera, otherwise the battery will be drained. Like you said, make sure it is at exact off position. You should feel click stop when it's in right place.

Alex W.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi:

I bought my OM-2 new in 1975. Its a great camera.

The red light is the test light. When you move the switch past automatic to check -- if the batteries are good it will be a constant red glow. If the batteries are low it will flash.

You have to reset the camera after changing batteries. As you are looking at the lens you will see a small button on the base of the mount on the right. Push the button and turn the shutter speed ring until the red * symbol by the word reset lines up with the red arrow just above the button. The mirror should unlock and all should work.

As far as batteries goes, the light meter is calibrated to use silver cells. You usually can find then in camera stores or battery outlet stores like Batteries Plus. Look for S-76 batteries.

Have fun!!

Shooter
    35mm

Recommended batteries

On the Olympus mailing in list in November was a discussion on batteries for OM cameras. The consensus was that Energiser 303/357 batteries have been reformulated as low drain and made slightly thinner. Energiser 303/357H are the high drain version. The batteries recommended was the Sony 357/SR44W. These are high drain. Although you put in new batteries, the question is how old were they. I know lithium batteries have a 5yr shelf life, but I have no idea of the shelf life on silver oxide batteries. Try using a pencil eraser to clean the spring and cap and top and bottom of the batteries.

Robin

Shooter
    35mm
    Even if you left the meter on overnight, it would not cause that issue. I've left mine on for days at a time without a problem. Try new batteries. I had a similar problem with my OM-4T when I first got it. I replaced the batteries and it's always been fine since.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I've had batteries in it for a couple days now, just checked and it's lighting up solid red. So maybe the other ones were old or something who knows.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin