Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,841   Online: 993

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For portraits AIS 85/1.4 or AF 85/1.8

I have to do a session tomorrow and I was going to use my standard setup: 85mm AIS/1.4 (big honker) on either my F3 or F4.

Someone lent me an F5 which I have been using, and frankly I like the F4 better for some odd reason when using manual lenses (all I have).

With the loaner F5 came an AF Nikkor 85/1.8. Its plastic, but what about the optics? Are they better than the AIS 1.4?

I am voting for the old school, metal-built 85 AIS 1.4.

Would others agree?
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Use what you know, but don't miss the opportunity to do a free side-by-side test.

A class oral report is due Tuesday. Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Seconded! Use the lens you know for the shoot then shoot comparison shots.

I've always used the 105 for portraiture and I have to say my favourite remains the old 105mm f 2.5. I originally, (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth!!) bought the 105 1.8 and a few weeks later had the chance to compare he 2.5. In 35mm the 2.5 remains my favourite portrait lens. I even use it on my D200, (customer demand - not choice) for portraits. Don't know why but that lens is awesome.

Have fun on the shoot.
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have the 1.4 Ais, the MF 1.8 H.C, and my wife's AF 1.8. Tested them all at the same time, on 100 speed chromes, tripod, cable release, mirror lockup, DG-2, two bodies and two rolls, all F-stops up to F8, shot at near middle and far-ish middle distances. At wide open, the 1.4 is better but not by much over the AF 1.8, the center is sharper on the 1.4 but the AF is more even over the whole frame. At F2, the 1.4 is clearly better, bokeh is clean and plane of sharpness extend over the whole frame, very nice overall look. The AF 1.8 and the old H.C 1.8 were pretty even at this point, the H.C had a bit 'different' signature to the bokeh, but sharpness was nearly the same. At F4-5.6, the differences between all lenses was so minute that I had to consult the notes to figure out which lens was used. I use and interchange between them all the time, taking the 1.4 when I need more wide open performance and the weight issue is minor, taking the 1.8 when I need the weight savings and less chance of a *critical* need for wide open performance. The AF is currently in 'need to be repaired' status, needs a good cleaning and perhaps a new mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For portraits, you may actually not want a bitingly sharp and contrasty lens like either of these. Shoot whichever you choose, you'll probably want to soften the print anyway, even if you shoot wide open.

For side-by-side comparisons see photozone.de.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Any one of those lenses will give superb results. I love and still use my ancient 105 f/2.5

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    Any one of those lenses will give superb results. I love and still use my ancient 105 f/2.5

Kiron Kid
    Easy there. That lens may be ancient - but it's younger than me. The truth hurts
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeffrey I have the 1.8 and am happy with the results. Testing is always best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 1.8. It's a fantastic lens. I hear the 1.4 is better though, but I've never used it.

If you're comfortable focusing manually (and I assume you must be ), use your /1.4, but do play with the 1.8 to see how you like it.

The F5 is a great camera, but if your F4 is in good condition, it is a better body to use with manual-focus lenses, unquestionably.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    Easy there. That lens may be ancient - but it's younger than me. The truth hurts
    Actually, the original Nikkor 105 f/2.5, was designed in 1959, the same year that I was born. So I guess that makes me ancient too. :rolleyes: I'm using the first edition 105, and love it.

Kiron Kid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin