Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,773   Online: 1086

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future contax

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Two words: Zeiss Ikon.
    Here are the exact words from the Zeiss site:
    ". What will happen to the Contax brand in the future?
    Under the brand name CONTAX, Kyocera – Kyoto Ceramics has launched excellent cameras with Carl Zeiss lenses on the market for many years. We regret that Kyocera has decided not to continue these activities in accordance with an agreement signed on April 12, 2005.

However, there is still a contract between Carl Zeiss and Kyocera governing the exclusive use of the CONTAX brand by Kyocera. Since this contract will remain in effect for several more years, we cannot yet provide any concrete information on future developments."

On the same site Zeiss says the ZM lenses record 100 line per millemeter more than the ZF lenses,
    I still think Zeiss should produce a slr to go head to head with the Leitz boys.

On an OT topic: At a Leica site, not the official one, but dedicated to Leica, the gent running the site said the Ricoh G1 and G1s were the best ever point and shoot cameras produced, bar none.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    As to the OP - I'm not sure how much the Contax name is worth nowadays.

It's simply a brand and it's been bandied about, bought and sold so much etc. that I think it's lost its "Zeiss lineage" and its cachet.

In fact, with the resurrection of the Ikon label via Cosina - I think Zeiss has already made a decision with regard to film RFs.

Not to deny that they might "resurrect" the Contax label as a brand for a new line of digis?
    I think the name Contax still carries some considerable marketing weight. Whoever owns it.

If Zeiss partners with the right niche company (maybe ricoh?) and release a new Digital Contax RF (with plenty of nods to the classic one), I am sure Leica will have a cold sweat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by oldglass View Post
    I think the name Contax still carries some considerable marketing weight. Whoever owns it.

If Zeiss partners with the right niche company (maybe ricoh?) and release a new Digital Contax RF (with plenty of nods to the classic one), I am sure Leica will have a cold sweat.
    IF they have to go digital the game is over, they already have a large business just with their lenses; it is, will/can they remain in the now small field of 135 mm cameras, and there the slr field is the one most endangered.
    Film is undergoing a natural valley; digital is riding a natural, but non-sustainable wave. Part of the equation is for film to be able ride it out till the digi bubble bursts.
    Another part is for major companies not to pull a Canon and bail out; the Leica concern is doing their best, as is Nikon.
    Will the Zeiss concern do the same?

I wish they would without needing a Japanese partner, but the Japanese near fanatical love of cameras is not a bad thing.
    Bobby

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    IF they have to go digital the game is over, they already have a large business just with their lenses; it is, will/can they remain in the now small field of 135 mm cameras, and there the slr field is the one most endangered.
    Film is undergoing a natural valley; digital is riding a natural, but non-sustainable wave. Part of the equation is for film to be able ride it out till the digi bubble bursts.
    Another part is for major companies not to pull a Canon and bail out; the Leica concern is doing their best, as is Nikon.
    Will the Zeiss concern do the same?

I wish they would without needing a Japanese partner, but the Japanese near fanatical love of cameras is not a bad thing.
    Bobby
    I agree with you on the natural valley when it comes to film. In my view, the key question is will film made the transition from consumer to artistic market. Just like painting did a hundred years ago.

I'm not sure about digital being non-sustainable, certainly the demands for digital will sustain the technology and the market comfortably for the foreseeable future.

Back to Zeiss, why do you wish them to not have a Japanese partner? Seems like an ideal one to me. Especially as Japanese still loves *film* cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by oldglass View Post
    Back to Zeiss, why do you wish them to not have a Japanese partner? Seems like an ideal one to me. Especially as Japanese still loves *film* cameras
    While going through a site, (I think it is in this site somewhere) by a gent who probably forgot more about cameras than I will ever know, he made a remark that the Japanese are very good, due to their system at making a lens that is very, very good; whereas again due to their system they lack the individualist touches that make Leica lenses and top German Zeiss lenses, as incredible as they are.
    I read of the effort in designing the new R8 Leica, and then read that the Zeiss Ikon, under the skin is still basically Cosina Bessa.

For Zeiss to sell an slr, they would need an edge such as the one that Leica has, theirs are made in Europe.
    Does that mean that Asians make bad cameras, Canon, Nikon, Topcon disproved that decades ago,(Topcon produced the 300 2.8 that set standards) but it is a psychological edge, (especially at the prices they sell for) and the very best Zeiss lenses ARE still made in Germany.
    Bobby
    PS--This is the gent who said that Ricoh, made the forever best 135mm point and shoot camera in history.
    Last edited by BobbyR; 02-06-2008 at 06:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    While going through a site, (I think it is in this site somewhere) by a gent who probably forgot more about cameras than I will ever know, he made a remark that the Japanese are very good, due to their system at making a lens that is very, very good; whereas again due to their system they lack the individualist touches that make Leica lenses and top German Zeiss lenses, as incredible as they are.
    I read of the effort in designing the new R8 Leica, and then read that the Zeiss Ikon, under the skin is still basically Cosina Bessa.

For Zeiss to sell an slr, they would need an edge such as the one that Leica has, theirs are made in Europe.
    Does that mean that Asians make bad cameras, no, Canon, Nikon, Topcon disproved that decades ago, but it is a psychological edge, (especially at the prices they sell for) and the very best Zeiss lenses ARE still made in Germany.
    Bobby
    PS--This is the gent who said that Ricoh, made the forever best 135mm point and shoot camera in history.
    What aload of bull.... What system, that hinders the Japanese people to make a exceptional lens/camera, are we talking about here? Political system, Economical system? Immune system? Or is the basis of this "observation" in the system of thought that atrributes certain deficiencies to certain peoples, as did a school of thought some 50-odd years ago?

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder View Post
    What aload of bull.... What system, that hinders the Japanese people to make a exceptional lens/camera, are we talking about here? Political system, Economical system? Immune system? Or is the basis of this "observation" in the system of thought that atrributes certain deficiencies to certain peoples, as did a school of thought some 50-odd years ago?

Jaap Jan
    Are you ignorant by birth or is it a learned trait?

In Japan you follow the system, respect for elders is primary, you do it as you are told, you do not challenge the system.
    Try looking up the word except from which exception is derived.

You are the only one who even considered this point: "Or is the basis of this "observation" in the system of thought that atrributes certain deficiencies to certain peoples,"

I don't know what caused your schizophrenic reaction, but try overcoming it.
    Bobby
    PS--When it comes to digital cameras, you don't think Canon and Nikon have a similar psychological edge?
    Last edited by BobbyR; 02-06-2008 at 06:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

In Japan you follow the system, respect for elders is primary, you do it as you are told, you do not challenge the system.....
    Hmmm...there are folks I know of who would say these same "characteristics" are very Germanic....

Oh, oh, stereotypes - aren't they just so damned stupid!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I try to learn all I can

In Japan you follow the system, respect for elders is primary, you do it as you are told, you do not challenge the system.
    Try looking up the word except from which exception is derived

Aaah, that system. That system didn't prevent the Japanese to create the Katana, which I am told (I am not remotely an expert), was/is a sword that in it's characteristics was without peer in Germany, Spain , France or anywhere else in Europe, a sheer metallurgical marvel. Some Japanese exceptional blacksmith must have ignored the "system" there, you think???

You are the only one who even considered this point: "Or is the basis of this "observation" in the system of thought that atrributes certain deficiencies to certain peoples,"

I don't know what caused your schizophrenic reaction, but try overcoming it.
    I always get like that when a complete country of people is deemed inapt or incapabeble of achiving something. I was under the impression the Japanese already made exceptional lenses (Fujinon, Hexanon) and I'm pretty sure so will the Chinese in 20 years time, given half the change.

Bobby
    PS--When it comes to digital cameras, you don't think Canon and Nikon have a similar psychological edge?
    Probabely, I just don't think there is no cause behind it, that is inherently Japanese. You seem to think there is.

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post

Oh, oh, stereotypes - aren't they just so damned stupid!

Yes, they are ..... and sometimes very damaging.

Jaap Jan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin