Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,140   Online: 975

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future contax

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Hmmm...there are folks I know of who would say these same "characteristics" are very Germanic....

Oh, oh, stereotypes - aren't they just so damned stupid!
    Until you are raised in a group of stubborn Germans, you do not know just how accurate they can be.
    Now you get a group of stubborn Germans, Poles and Bohemians, I grew up with all three, together, AND they do not agree, well--it ain't war but there is enough arm waving and spittel to cool the room and wash the floor.
    Bobby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I am German, I am not really sure what to think of some of the statements on this thread. However, I just wanted to point out that there are inferior products made in Germany too, just like any other country. I am amazed at how anyone could so easily define millions of people, either based upon geography or language . . . it defies logic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    Since I am German, I am not really sure what to think of some of the statements on this thread. However, I just wanted to point out that there are inferior products made in Germany too, just like any other country. I am amazed at how anyone could so easily define millions of people, either based upon geography or language . . . it defies logic.
    I agree, wholeheartedly.

I am a number of generations removed, and only partially of German extraction. However, I work for a German firm in NYC and I well-know that the kind of sentiments expressed in this thread are abhorrent to modern Germans.

Oh, and BTW, at work, our German-made IT systems really suck! But I do love my 330Ci!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder View Post
    I try to learn all I can
    Aaah, that system. That system didn't prevent the Japanese to create the Katana, which I am told (I am not remotely an expert), was/is a sword that in it's characteristics was without peer in Germany, Spain , France or anywhere else in Europe, a sheer metallurgical marvel. Some Japanese exceptional blacksmith must have ignored the "system" there, you think???
    Now that you bring that up, there was a show on cable just a week or so ago, about the samurai sword and how it is made; without going into the details of why it is better, even when a modern sword was made similarily as effective, in killing power anyway; it takes a life-time to be able to become a master Japanese samurai sword maker, and each "student" goes through decades of being trained to do it exactly as told.
    There is no "new and improved" method.
    There is an extra step, not used by European blacksmiths, that make it unique, and it must be done the same way EVERY time.
    You do it the proper way, or you are out.
    The expert blacksmith who tried to create a "modern" equivalent of the samurai sword, said without his modern equiptment, he could do nothing. He admitted he could not even read the color of metal which was/is a standard method still used by many US blacksmith to this day.
    You cannot learn to read the color of metal by reading a book.

I always get like that when a complete country of people is deemed inapt or incapabeble of achiving something. I was under the impression the Japanese already made exceptional lenses (Fujinon, Hexanon) and I'm pretty sure so will the Chinese in 20 years time, given half the change.
    This is because you have preconceived notions of what is being said.
    I never said Japanese could not produce top line lenses, but there is no Japanese company, ( Canon has been and as far as I have recently read, still considered the top lenses maker in Japan,) that has instant respect, where excellance is expected, that one gets when one speaks of a Leica or Zeiss lens.(This is also the reason that when a lemon is produced by either, critics will cut it no slack)

Bobby
    PS--Special order lenses from Nikon, I do not know if Canon has any, are as close to German style production as any Japanese company gets. Because they are special order, they most likely get the same attention that any German top lens would also get, and a price that is at least equal.
    Zeiss also has special order lenses, but I imagine their prices are breath taking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys, how about you take the flame war based on stereotypes elsewhere? I'm sure the Germans and the Japanese will do fine without your superior insights on their putative qualities and defects.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe it's a scifi thread after all :0

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Guys, how about you take the flame war based on stereotypes elsewhere? I'm sure the Germans and the Japanese will do fine without your superior insights on their putative qualities and defects.
    The only flame war based on stereotypes is the one in your head.

I answered a gents question; Jaap Jan and I after a bit too sharp exchange, exchanged fact based ooinions, it is arrogant twits such as you sitting on the sidelines espousing superior moral structure that are doing the flame baiting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    michel

I'm voting troll

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Keith

Leica sank too much in the M8. It's a dog. Too bad. Perhaps they'll get it right with the M9.

Anyone remember the M5? Another dog. The Minolta CLE was better than the M5.
    Neither the M5 nor the M8 are 'dogs'. In fact you will be able to return your M8 for retrofit to future upgrades, who else offers that.
    One photographer at the forefront of digital really likes his M8 and he's got everything else.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I hope the Canon "kit" lens isn't considered part of its group of elite products.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin