Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,944   Posts: 1,557,724   Online: 1216

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Wide angle lens for OM?

Hello, I recently started photography as a hobby and I need some advice. I have an Olympus OM10 with the classic 50mm f/1.8 lens. I am happy with my camera and I just need a wide angle lens to get these photos that I can't get with the 50mm. I'm thinking about getting the 28mm f/2.8. It seems to be reasonably priced. I also have a Hoya linear polariser (the regular, not HMC or Pro). So, has anybody used this lens? Will I have a problem with vigneting if I use it with the polariser on? Is it sharp, or is it kind of... blury?

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 28 f2.8 is an excellent lens. If you use a polariser there should be no vignetting. I made the attached photographs with Olympus OM-1, Zuiko 28mm f2.8 and a polarising filter.

Ps. Welcome to APUG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TheThamesEstuary.jpg   SouthendPier091005.jpg   SFS8.jpg  

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Zuiko 28mm f/2.8 and Tamron 28mm f/2.5, both very good - there are several pictures from Greece in my gallery using a Polariser with no vignetting problems.

If you use a lens hood you will need a special wide-angle one to avoid vignetting.

Jim
    "Well, my name's Jim. But, most people call me . . . Jim"

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow! Instant reply The photos look nice. I like these clouds. And no vignetting evident. Time to order one...

Oh, thanks a lot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 24mm is also an excellent lens and very sharp too.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer a 24mm lens personally, but a 28 is a really good focal length for a first wide angle lens. Some find 24 to be too wide.

28 is much, much wider than 50 so you will find it to be a big help. The prices are also pretty attractive.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good and reasonable suggestions here.

The best OM wideangle I have in terms of contrast and sharpness is the 24/2.8 but I often find it too wide.

The 28/2.8 is a close second and don't dismiss the Tamron 28/2.5 mentioned above also, that's one unassuming, but excellent lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I prefer a 24mm lens personally, but a 28 is a really good focal length for a first wide angle lens. Some find 24 to be too wide.

28 is much, much wider than 50 so you will find it to be a big help. The prices are also pretty attractive.
    Yes, 24mm seem to be very nice, but I did a bit of research on the internet and I got the impression that it is exactly at the point where distortion gets a bit evident. Am I wrong? The 24mm f2.8 is also reasonably priced and well within my budget (80 euros for the 28mm, 100 for the 24mm from ffordes), but you get about 8 degrees more field of view and a bit more distortion. Any comments?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Hello, I recently started photography as a hobby and I need some advice. I have an Olympus OM10 with the classic 50mm f/1.8 lens. I am happy with my camera and I just need a wide angle lens to get these photos that I can't get with the 50mm. I'm thinking about getting the 28mm f/2.8. It seems to be reasonably priced. I also have a Hoya linear polariser (the regular, not HMC or Pro). So, has anybody used this lens? Will I have a problem with vigneting if I use it with the polariser on? Is it sharp, or is it kind of... blury?

Thanks in advance!
    There are at least two versions of the OM Zuiko 28mm lens. I'm surprised no one mentioned the older, less expensive, and sharper 28mm f3.5.
    I got one for around $50 US and it's great. You can see some shots here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/arcanef...7600367288404/
    They are shot with Efke IR film and thus don't really showcase the sharpness and contrast of this little gem of a lens. But there is a Zuiko 28mm group on flickr.com you should check out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used my Zuiko 24mm f/2.8 for this shot from my APUG gallery:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...44&ppuser=6479

Personally, I like the field of view of a 35mm lens - generally that is my "standard" lens. My current and favorite kit is 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.0 and 85mm f/2.0 - all Zuiko.

I used one of my Zuiko 35mm f/2.0 lenses for this shot from my APUG gallery:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...79&ppuser=6479

For years I used a 28mm f/3.5 lens, a 50mm f/1.8 lens and a 135mm f/3.5 lens (all Zuiko), but I prefer my current kit - not because of quality concerns, but definitely because of size, and speed.

Matt

Whoops - I just realized that you are not a subscriber, so you won't be able to look at my gallery photos. I'll attempt to post the 24mm photo here:

Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Yes, 24mm seem to be very nice, but I did a bit of research on the internet and I got the impression that it is exactly at the point where distortion gets a bit evident. Am I wrong? The 24mm f2.8 is also reasonably priced and well within my budget (80 euros for the 28mm, 100 for the 24mm from ffordes), but you get about 8 degrees more field of view and a bit more distortion. Any comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails broken tree 01a.JPG  
    Last edited by MattKing; 02-08-2008 at 12:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin