Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,781   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooting B&W without filters.

I am forever searching my home for misplaced step rings & filters.They are either on another lens,in another camera bag or for instance today,not here at all (I had lent it to a friend).There was a thread which mentioned going filterless but I can't find it.
    Should I rate my film or meter differently? Maybe even develop or print another way.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I seldom use filters with B&W. When I do use filters, it's with medium format and slower films. For 35mm, it's usually nothing more than a UV filter.

Use the box speed of the film for speed rating (unless you've determined a different EI by testing) and just proceed as you normally do. The effect filters have on B&W is more in the relationship of grey tones to each other than in exposure or development technique.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It depends. With through-the-lens metering, you might get adequate exposures without any exposure index adjustment. Otherwise, you may have to apply up to several stops more exposure, depending on both the filter and the subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may want to give more exposure and a little less development, since one of the main uses of filters in BW is to tone down the sky a bit, and this is easier if you keep develop a little less than normal. Nonetheless, most current films react to more exposure very well, i.e. they don't lose contrast in the highlights until you really nuke them. So if you make sure that you expose such that you have enough detail in the darker areas of the image, usually darked toned areas in shade, and you don't over develop, you'll still have lot's of good detail in the brighter areas, usually the sky and clouds. You'll probably have to do quite a bit of burning in to get that detail on paper, but that isn't hard to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all!
    I'll have a go at it tomorrow.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I am forever searching my home for misplaced step rings & filters.They are either on another lens,in another camera bag or for instance today,not here at all (I had lent it to a friend).There was a thread which mentioned going filterless but I can't find it.
    Should I rate my film or meter differently? Maybe even develop or print another way.

Thanks
    When going w/o filters, expect less detail in clouds if shooting outdoors. Skin tones will also be distorted, it depends on where you are looking.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Michael A. Smith claims he never uses filters for his B&W's. I have no reason to dispute this and he seems to get pretty good tonal range.

I myself however use them sparingly to emphasize a specific thing.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    I have 4 B&W filters and I have difficulty recalling many shots where the filters really made a difference EXCEPT in that area which nearly always seems to be in my shots to a greater or lesser extent, namely sky. I have yet to capture any decent blue sky and cloud shots without a filter. The best were with red + polariser and most of those didn't appear to be over the top. OK maybe I like more defined skies than most but in any non filter shot the sky is a featureless white.

Anyone with any success at scenes that include sky without filters, I'd appreciate your advice. On a bright day I actually enjoy looking through an orange or medium red filter. It seems to brighten the day. A bit like the saying about looking at life throught rose coloured spectacles.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Michael A. Smith claims he never uses filters for his B&W's. I have no reason to dispute this and he seems to get pretty good tonal range.

I myself however use them sparingly to emphasize a specific thing.

I'll admit, I'm using them sparingly also. It depends on the color temperature of the light source.

Perhaps the modern lens coatings are doing a good job at balancing tonal values with modern films. I have some older photos taken w/o filter and the contrast had much to be desired.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Filters are mostly for contrast control. And there is more tonal seperation in negative of decreased exposure. Maybe drop a zone or two and then push it. Personally, I have not shot filterless for a long time on purpose.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin