Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,686   Posts: 1,548,610   Online: 1323

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon N-70 and Vivitar 2800

Hello!

I'm the proud new owner of a Nikon N-70 camera with a 70-300 lens. I've already put a few rolls through the camera, and I've had fun using auto focus instead of my usual manual focus Canon T-70 camera.

Anyway, I wanted to use the N-70 camera with the Vivitar 2800 Auto Thyristor flash. I've used this flash on and off for years with my Canon T-70 camera and other film cameras. Can I use this flash successfully without damaging the N-70? Also, do I need to set the camera up in a certain mode to work correctly with the N-70? The N-70 manual has no information on flashes other then Nikon flashes. I also have a Canon 299T flash that I enjoy using with the T-70. Can I use this flash with the N-70?

Assuming that the Vivitar flash trigger isn't too high and won't damage the camera, do I just go manual and set the camera shutter speed and aperture and rely on the flash to do it's auto thyristor magic? Would the Canon 299T work the same way, or is this a mistake mixing this Canon dedicated flash.

Thanks for any help?

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Jeff, you may want to contact Vivitar directly and see what they reccomend. Try Vivitar.com and see what comes up, or do a google type search. Ask and see if they can send you a manual or other information fo using with the Nikon. I hope this helps you.

Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jeff:

I can't comment on the trigger voltage, but the thyristor magic should work just fine with the N70 on manual exposure. Just make sure your shutter speed is at 1/125 or slower for synch. My gut feel, (i.e. no responsibility) is that you should be just fine.

Enjoy!

Bob
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm
    I've tested the trigger voltage with a voltmeter, and it came in around 35 volts. Since the manaul states a much higher max trigger voltage, (250 volts max) I feel pretty safe using this flash. Thanks again for the help!

Jeff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin