Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,544,012   Online: 1062

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ehparis View Post
    I see no point in throwing away money on "protective" filters. Why put even a quality filter in front of a high priced piece of glass you bought for its contrast, sharpness, etc.? I'm not interested in degrading the resultant image even the least little bit.
    See post #6.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I only use protective filters in particularly risky conditions. A lens hood usually provides adequate protection. When not photographing, screw-in metal lens caps provide better protection than OEM plastic snap-in caps. Not using protective filters means more frequent lens cleaning, sometimes with improvised materials. As a result, I retired a 50mm Summicron because of cleaning marks. This cost a small fraction of the the film shot with that lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't need a protective filter until you have an accident with the lens. Just like you don't need to wear a seatbelt unless you plan on having an accident with the motor vehicle.

Most of the time I use UV filters for protection of the lens but sometimes I don't.

"So I am keeping the lens cap in place at all times to protect the lens (that's what it's there for, right?) except when I want to take a picture."

I consider lens caps as protective storage devices, not something to use while taking pictures. But if it works for you, it works.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I only use protective filters in particularly risky conditions. A lens hood usually provides adequate protection. When not photographing, screw-in metal lens caps provide better protection than OEM plastic snap-in caps.....
    My feelings, exactly.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Once had my 28mm AIs Nikkor roll off a lectern on a stage - while I watched helpless from 30 feet away - thence off the stage and into the orchestra pit. Tiffen UV haze filter - shattered, Tiffen filter ring - crushed, lens front element - pristine, lens filter threads - pristine. Still using it today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoung View Post
    Once had my 28mm AIs Nikkor roll off a lectern on a stage - while I watched helpless from 30 feet away - thence off the stage and into the orchestra pit. Tiffen UV haze filter - shattered, Tiffen filter ring - crushed, lens front element - pristine, lens filter threads - pristine. Still using it today.
    Ah, the memories. The stories I could tell of the times UV filters have saved my lenses due to falls, drops, debris and champagne spray.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    So I am keeping the lens cap in place at all times to protect the lens (that's what it's there for, right?) except when I want to take a picture. I somehow find the extra filters a nuisance except when I need to use one deliberately to alter the light coming through. YMMV.

Are there any others out there who work crazy like this?

With best regards,

Steve Mack

PS Also, I save money when I buy a new lens.
    I guess I am crazy because I also work like this. I decided that I didn't need so many UV filters around the house and also the fact that dust tends to accumulate on the inside of the filter meant that I was constantly having to remove said filter to clean it. I also got tired of spending money on the UV filters. If I want to use a filter in my shooting, I'll use one. Otherwise, the lens caps go on the lens.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    35mm
    I go with the view of those here who use it for protection, the only lens I ever scratched did not have a filterf.
    Once done it is to damn late to say woulda, coulda, shoulda.

To those who say-" I have never...", I used to brag that way too, to bad I let arrogance get in the way of caution.
    Bobby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of my best photographs were taken with the lens cap on.:o

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The times you all ended up with damaged filters. How do you know the lens would have been damaged?

Did the filter protect the lens? Or would nothing have happened without the filter?

If I tape an egg to my bumper will the egg protect the car?

Of course if your filters come with built in shock absorbers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin