Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,054   Online: 870

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    The times you all ended up with damaged filters. How do you know the lens would have been damaged?

Did the filter protect the lens? Or would nothing have happened without the filter?

If I tape an egg to my bumper will the egg protect the car?

Of course if your filters come with built in shock absorbers.
    I would say - because a filter is of similar material and dimensions to the filter mount on the front of a lens, which leads me to suspect that any given impact would cause the same damage to a filter or lens mount. I think it would be highly optimistic to think you can drop a lens without filter 4 or 5 feet or more onto a hard surface and have it sustain no damage! Filters don't have shock absorbers but they do make handy deformation zones!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So what do you do when your lens has no filter threads or has already been dinged on the filter threads by the time you get it?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The times you all ended up with damaged filters. How do you know the lens would have been damaged?

Did the filter protect the lens? Or would nothing have happened without the filter?

I can think of two occasions off hand.

I was changing lenses and put one of them on the roof of my vehicle and immediately knocked it off. It smashed onto the concrete parking lot, glass went everywhere and it rolled under the car. I crawled under, expecting the worst and only discovered the filter was broken. Needle-nose pliers removed the filter ring and I went on with my pictures. No damage other than the broken filter.

On another occasion, same circumstances. I placed a lens on a countertop while changing lenses and knocked it off. It hit on the lens shade, bending it and shattering the filter. No other damage. I bent the hood back into shape, removed the broken filter and continued with my pictures.

Maybe the lenses would have survived unscathed without the filters in place. Maybe the egg saved the bumper. Was the bumper made of eggshell?

But the main point is that I have thrown away a few dozen UV filters over the years that had become scratched. The scratches came from overly aggressive cleaning on my part to dings of unknown etiology. If the filter hadn't been there, I'm sure the lens would have become scratched instead.

Most of the time, I use a filter on my lenses but sometimes I don't. I have a couple of telephotos that have long, securely attached lens hoods and I very seldom find a filter necessary to protect these lenses. I'm just really careful with cleaning the front elements. I also have several lenses I bought used that already had scratches or damaged filter threads (or both). They were cheap to buy and already damaged so I don't take as much care of them.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    The way you rationalize is strange. When I see a ding on one of my filters I'm glad it's on the filter ring and not the lens - when I see a ding on one of my lenses, I wonder about it's optical integrity.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    The way you rationalize is strange. When I see a ding on one of my filters I'm glad it's on the filter ring and not the lens - when I see a ding on one of my lenses, I wonder about it's optical integrity.
    I fully expect a filter ring to be softer then my wimpiest lens. If it isn't then normal use of the filter will damage the lens.

Just because the filter was damaged doesn't mean the lens would have been. It's possible the filter could even have made things worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Just one thought. If it's a good idea to always use a skylight filter (and I'm not arguing either way). Why don't lenses come with this coating on the front (or any) element as standard?
    Some lenses have a clear glass front element for protection. The idea is that it is cheaper to replace than an element that forms part of the optical formula.

The filtration isn't always desirable, but is rarely harmful.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I fully expect a filter ring to be softer then my wimpiest lens. If it isn't then normal use of the filter will damage the lens.

Just because the filter was damaged doesn't mean the lens would have been. It's possible the filter could even have made things worse.
    ?????

Nick,

Believe me, I'm trying to understand you.

If the filter ring is made of a softer material, that's a good thing because softer material will absorb any impact better than hard material. Besides, filter rings are made of brass, like most lenses. It's not really a materials issue - or, do you mean damage to the screw threads?
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format

This is the same logic used to justify not using a seat belt because someone does not want to be trapped in a car if it were to catch on fire. Of course that ignores the fact that with the seat belt one is less likely to get knocked out and they would be conscience and able to unlatch the belt. Usually, these people get thrown out of the car and end up seriously dead!

YMMV, but you will do what you want to do with full disregard for logic and facts. Enjoy.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Alright, I gotta add my 2 cents worth: I believe the more chances a "shooter" takes with their preferred lens without any UV filter attached to that lens. the more possibilities of having damage done to that lens. At this point of my photographic 'hobby', I've paid no money for any of my leses; however, I treat these as though I did indeed pay for them, and attach a UV filter on most. Oddly enough, it was only a few months ago, I realized I had a UV filter on my standard [55mm] lens!! Talk of being unobservant and grateful as well!!
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was a kid I dropped my parents camera and luckily only broke the filter. They had a fit because they thought I'd broken the lens (which would've cost plenty to fix - Canon 35AF.)

I always try to fit filters on myself since You Never Know when something might happen. I look at it like pushing the elevator button more than once: you know the elevator's coming but you do it anyway. I know I may never bang/drop my lens, but I fit filters on anyway.

Er, that wasn't so good but you get the picture.
    Those who know, shoot film

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin