Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,618   Online: 1066

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No one has yet really commented on whether image quality takes a hit. I really don't care to do the testing but I was hoping someone more analytical than myself had gone to the great lengths to see if it does make any difference optically.

Personally it is just economics to me. If a lens costs less than the filter, I don't care, I'll just buy another lens. Usually anything less than $100 I don't worry too much about. I did drop a Nikon 200mm F4 smack on a rock at the beach from about 3 ft up and the filter did save the lens, because had it not been on, it surely would have had dented filter threads just like the filter's dent. I have a 50mm F2 with the metal lens hood and never bother to cap it or keep a filter on, but it only cost $25, same goes for the 75-150mm that also cost less than a good filter. I do put a filter on my Rollei 35s, only because it's just asking for finger prints and it gives it a bit more meat to grab for focusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting point regarding image quality.
    Brings up the differences between lens brands doesn't it
    I think most of the hypercritical amongst us would defend NOT using a filter because they imagine they see a difference. Certainly it has some minor effect but other than using a microscope to examine the negative, I believe they're delusional.

DUCK!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I think a filter is like a condom---when you need it you need it. I think a filter is cheap protection for the lens. I shoot 90% B&W so I normally use a colored filter anyway. As far as degrading image quality----poppycock. I shoot outdoors and all my favorites used filters extensively. Galen Rowell and Ansel Adams use filters most all the time---no image issues there. But a filter is like anything else--you get what you pay for. Personally I like Hoya Multicoated have had great results with those. But the bottom line is it's your gear and pic so to what [U]You[U] want. I like to keep skylight filters on all my lenses for a little protection and to cut some haze.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin