Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,881   Posts: 1,520,512   Online: 811

Shooter
    Multi Format

Honeywell Spotmatic update.

I had installed an Energizer 392 watch battery (1.55 V) to power up the meter yet things seemed off.Could be the extra voltage or the cameras age.Who knows ?Just did a test against my Nikon FM2 and found the Spotmatic was 2 stops overexposing.Adjusted the iso and all's well.
    Oh yea,the watch battery cost $2.98.A wein cell was $13.50 at my local shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Voltage shouldn't be an issue.

The Spots have a voltage circuit that deals with almost anything you could throw at it.

How did you test? Against a grey card?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Nick,
    I didn't think it would be an issue either.Used a grey card under consistant LED light and double checked against a Gossen Pilot lightmeter that I know is tack sharp.
    I can't figure out this anomaly.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LED? Wonder if the meter doesn't like the wavelength?

Sun light would be better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Nick.I'll have a go with sunlight..................when and if it ever reappears in New Brunswick.She's been pretty stormy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to do testing against an inside wall. It had a large window that cast light on the wall. The wall was a zone VI -) If you're having snowing white storms then this might work. If you're having dark cloudy storms then it'll be too dark. But in general cloudy days were great since the light wouldn't change.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Voltage shouldn't be an issue.

The Spots have a voltage circuit that deals with almost anything you could throw at it.
    Wrong! The Spotmatic F used a balanced bridge with a centered galvanometer. It was indeed supply voltage independent. The earlier cameras had an asymmetric circuit and centered the meter at a specific non-zero current, and the reading would depend on the battery voltage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That would certainly explain the overexposure Cao.

Thanks Much.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cao View Post
    Wrong! The Spotmatic F used a balanced bridge with a centered galvanometer. It was indeed supply voltage independent. The earlier cameras had an asymmetric circuit and centered the meter at a specific non-zero current, and the reading would depend on the battery voltage.
    What he said!
    There are all kinds of fixes for this on the web, but the one I like the look of most is the alkaline or silver oxide cell with a couple of Schottky diodes in series with the battery to drop the voltage. I have the diodes but have yet to try the scheme. So little time.....
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've adopted the motto "Less is Best" when it comes to camera repair.
    Last night I was able to test my recalibrated Spotmatic at a friends studio using her lights and high end Minolta meter.Tack sharp (+/-) 1/2 stop with adjusted iso. Now with a 392 Energizer battery I set the asa at 100 with 400 film,32 for 100
    Works for me.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin