Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,132   Online: 963

Thread: Whispy photos

Shooter
    35mm

Whispy photos

My brother has a Minolta XG-M with a generic auto winder.
    He took photos of ma's Christmas tree and those wound manually look fine, but those where he used the winder have white streaks, looks like some one smeared liquid white frosting, with a old paint brush, length wise across the negatives.
    The lines are wavy.
    I wondered why my brother called them wispy in the letter, but I agree with his term.
    The photo is pretty much correctly exposed except for this transparent white smear.

I told him to toss the auto winder, but what causes this to happen?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An extremely speculative guess -- static electricity stirred up by fast winding in dry winter weather?

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is that what these lines look like (see attached photo)? This is from my recent roll of HP5+ taken with an old Minolta Autocord. I really don't know what these lines are caused by, but they appeared on two frames out of the twelve. If anyone has any idea, I'd be very grateful.

aparat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008-02-13_BSPB.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It almost sounds like the winder is advancing the film before the second shutter curtain has closed.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by aparat View Post
    Is that what these lines look like (see attached photo)? This is from my recent roll of HP5+ taken with an old Minolta Autocord. I really don't know what these lines are caused by, but they appeared on two frames out of the twelve. If anyone has any idea, I'd be very grateful.

aparat
    Similar but cover the most of whole neg. with them, in varying degrees of brightness and --light fog in-between.
    As I said it looked as if someone put thin liquid white frosting on them and then drew a wavy line with an old paint brush that had buck teeth.

If it is the shutter--then the problem is really with the camera?
    Bobby

Shooter
    Medium Format
    aparat,

Look at your negatives and see if the two frames that have the streaks in your photos have a crease in them from being "kinked" when loaded onto the developing reel.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having some problem visualizing. Can you scan/digicam a couple of negs/prints? My first thought was the shutter still being open when the winder operates but from your further description I have my doubts about that now...

Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also think the film got kinked. These half moons are the usual result of kinking when loading the film onto the reel.

Regards,
    John

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Having some problem visualizing. Can you scan/digicam a couple of negs/prints? My first thought was the shutter still being open when the winder operates but from your further description I have my doubts about that now...

Bob.
    I will do that when I down to ma's house next week.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin