Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,760   Online: 862

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    I will second an AI or AIs lens in 50mm f/1.8. Great lens, fast and sharp. I would prefer the 1.4 but the premium for the 1/2 stop isnt worth it to me.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may want to check out this site: http://www.nikonians.org/

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i had a nikon f5 and for lenses i had a 85 1.8 non d lens,what a great lens for sharpness and it is not to expensive.also i had a 180.2.8d lens.wow what a great lens and i miss this the most
    also i had a 24-120 and that lens was garbage,in retrospect i should have sent it in for a check but i didnt know that was an option.goodluck

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Regarding fixed focal length lenses (any brand): I've found that, for general purpose, a 28mm is far more useful than a 24mm (more distortion) or 35mm (not always wide enough). For longer focal lengths the 80mm, or 85mm is more useful for portrait and still life subjects because of the pleasing perspective and shallow depth-of field. The standard 50mm is useful for low light conditions because of the f-stop advantage, otherwise, I never used it much. I used a 28 and 85 90% of the time. I'm now using a 28-100 zoom all the time when shooting 35mm format because maximum image quality is not an issue - I use MF for that.

I never cared for more exotic (extreme) focal lengths for various reasons, a 200mm being the exception because it gives a flat field look w/distant objects such as: sunsets, mountain peaks, portraits (close) and the like.
    Last edited by panastasia; 02-17-2008 at 12:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No one mentioned the 55 Micro? Sharpest and most used lens out of twelve total Nikon lenses I own, all manual, all primes.
    I even bought the older 3.5, and found the contrast to be best of all. No.2 35mm f/1.4, and No. 3 85mm f/1.8

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ionly use manual focus primes on my F4. They balance well on the camera and as you will apreciate the viewfinder is outstanding making autofocus unnecessary in my view. Using a 35,50 or105mm on the F4 gives a great handling experiece, best of any 35mm in my view, and reminds me why I enjoy cameras and photograpy so much.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For manual focus primes that are relatively inexpensive- the 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/2, and 105/2.5. AI and AI converted lenses are generally heavier built than those that followed. The early AIS lenses had a problem with a new type of lubricant being used that flows onto the aperture blades. Later AIS lenses corrected this, so it is worthwhile checking for oil on the blades.

Shooter
    35mm
    Although I don't own a F4 I do own an F3 and the three lenses that I have narrowed things down to for my bag is the 24-mm f/2.8 , 50-mm f/1.8 , and a 135 mm f/2.8. They span a pretty good focal length. All have yielded sharp images. I would like to add a decent zoom for an all purpose lens, however I have yet to find one that suits me at a good price. I would say that unless you need the AF for the shooting you plan to do, I would go with the MF lenses as they are pretty abundant and pretty cheap on the used market.
    Also I will second checking out the MIR site. Very informative.
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...onf4/index.htm
    That link will take you right to the sites page on the F4.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin